Running grounding electrode conductor in same conduit as phase conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitt123

When running an grounding electrode conductor in order to bond (2) grounding electrodes (DC and AC electrode) can the grounding electrode conductor be run with the phase conductors and equipment ground conductor running between two pieces of equipment.

For instance in a PV system if there is an inverter at one location with a DC grounding electrode and an AC panel at another location with an AC grounding electrode and the electrodes are being bonded together with a grounding electrode bonding conductor can this grounding electrode bonding conductor be routed with the phase conductors and equipment ground conductors running between the inverter and panel?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do not see any reason that you could not do what you stated. As long as you don't use the GEC as anEGC you should be good.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I haven't looked today, but isn't that ok 'till 2011? Or is that in 2008?
The change for 2011 said you can't use the same conductor as both the GEC and the EGC. There is no restriction on putting the GEC in a raceway with other conductors other than the bonding that is required in 250.64 for ferrous raceways.

Pitt123

The change for 2011 said you can't use the same conductor as both the GEC and the EGC. There is no restriction on putting the GEC in a raceway with other conductors other than the bonding that is required in 250.64 for ferrous raceways.

Would a ground bushing with a lay-in-lug at both ends of the conduit meet the requirements of 250.64 if the GEC was attached to the lugs provided at both ends in route to its terminations?

Pitt123

Thanks guys.

Does the bonding of the bonding of the conductor to both ends of the conduit (lay in lug or similar) apply only to a grounding electrode conductor run in metallic conduit or does this apply to equipment grounding conductors as well. To my knowlege it only applies to grounding electrode conductors run in metallic conduit but I thougt I'd ask to confirm this.

Also in some follow up reading I read that the reason for bonding the grounding electrode conductor at both ends of the conduit is to prevent an "inductive choke" effect that may occur when the conductor is not bonded to the conduit at both ends? Can anyone provide a little theory as to what cause this inductive choke effect and what effect is has on the grounding electrode conductor?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Bonding of both ends of a ferrous raceways only applies to Grounding Electrode Conductors.

I don't know how to explain the choke effect. I don't really know what the choke effect is. Choking is bad, I know that. Most of my grade school teachers made a big deal about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.