Running PV wire from ground mount to inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketchy

I've got an inspector who's being difficult. On our ground mount setup we're running PV wire directly from the final Amphenol/MC 4 connection into the inverter. I installed 1" EMT to sleeve the wires into a Solar Edge 10k inverter. There's a #6 ground and I have bond bushings on each end of the EMT and I duct sealed the end as well. Mr inspector says that's not kosher, I need to separately bush wire, i.e. a weather head. He's stating 690.31(C)(1) which takes you to 334.30 and 338.10(B)(4)(b) which takes you to Part I of article 225. Never been told my way (hundreds of installs) is wrong before, until this guy, which doesn't mean he's wrong just that I don't like him.... Thoughts?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
690.31(C)(1) does not refer to those sections. The connection is flimsy at best, in my opinion. And where does 225 even say when a weatherhead is required?

sketchy

690.31(C)(1) says single conductors can be exposed and shall follow 338.10(B)(4)(b) (treat them like SE cable) and 334.30 (treat them like NM cable which doesn't apply here). 338.10(B)(4)(b) says when cable is installed exterior then follow part I of 225. 225.11 says go to 230.54 (I forgot to add this, sorry) finally 230.54(E) says it needs bushed openings. Hope that clears things up

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Sorry, I was looking at the 2014 NEC. Forgot that was updated.

I still debate whether your wiring is 'entering a building or structure'. Is the inverter on the ground mount rack?

sketchy

I know what my options are, I don't want to change what's been installed already. And prove him wrong... Once again, one inspector says no and most others allow this set up. We will run a short piece of 1.25" PVC, 3-5', from one array to another all the time. EMT if it's longer. He's saying I need to put in a Heyco type fitting on 1.25" PVC that has 3 wires in it. Ridiculous IMO.

Last edited:

pv_n00b

Yeah, mounted on strut which is secured to the array.

Then as jaggedben said I question if 225.11 is applicable. If you are not careful going through this section of the code everything starts looking like a service entrance and transitioning from the array to the inverter is not a service entrance.

That being said I have seen weird weather head installations occasionally in PV projects. Maybe to satisfy an AHJ rather than argue the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.