Running RMC, techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
use the compression fittings or find a threader to rent, if laying it out carefully and only need a piece or two threaded take those pieces to someone that can thread them.

Harbor Freight has a 3/8-2 inch hand threader set for only $75. Might be worth it for just one job, probably won't last if you use it frequently.

For a personal project I bought a HF hand threader. The threads had the right TPI but the wrong taper; I would not use the HF hand threader for any real work.

AKElectrician

Above joke aside, yes, my only bends were made with 90's. 45's, and 22.5's. It was faster, more accurate, and more flexible (as in adjustable) than 1-piece bending for the offsets and pathways I needed to follow, and I don't own a large-diameter bender.

I don't understand why this point is being made into such a big deal here. Imagine how difficult it would have been to make the 3-dimensional offsets I needed to both get out from behind the fire escape and clear the concrete projection I had to go around.

Plus, I still needed the C-bodies between the pairs of offsets to comply with the 360-degrees-between-pull-points limit. The time it would have taken to calculate, bend, and tweak the conduits far outweighed the materials cost, in my ever-so-humble opinion.

I can imagine how difficult it would have been. I was taught that god gave electricians benders, cause plumbers don't pull anything through there fitttings with a rope... Also he wanted them to suffer at every turn:angel:

Besoeker

I want to see someone bend 2" rigid over a knee! :eek:
Never seen it used but it wouldn't surprise me if he could...............:)
Andrew "digits" Leck as he was commonly known was the wicket keeper in the company cricket team and there was a caricature of him in the cricket pavilion. The most prominent feature was an exaggerated pair of hands.

We did have a manually operated conduit bender but I never saw Digits Leck use it.
This was during my student apprentice days - over half a century ago.
We just don't do RMC.

jumper

I can imagine how difficult it would have been. I was taught that god gave electricians benders, cause plumbers don't pull anything through there fitttings with a rope... Also he wanted them to suffer at every turn:angel:

Electricians should suffer since we all are guilty of the sin of pride/hubris.:D

But seriously, if I told my boss to drop off a 555, pony, threader, etc for those small pipe runs when pre made stuff would be quicker and easier, he would not be happy.

Oh, and it is an alley and won’t really be noticed and I am worried about prettiness...
Major head/Gibbs smack coming my way.

The job is neat, clean, legal and done. Seems good to me.:D

AKElectrician

Electricians should suffer since we all are guilty of the sin of pride/hubris.:D

But seriously, if I told my boss to drop off a 555, pony, threader, etc for those small pipe runs when pre made stuff would be quicker and easier, he would not be happy.

Oh, and it is an alley and won’t really be noticed and I am worried about prettiness...
Major head/Gibbs smack coming my way.

The job is neat, clean, legal and done. Seems good to me.:D

Never said it wasn't code or legal.

My boss would have asked why I didn't roll the first offset to a shallow strut on the protruding brick and run it straight up to the next protruding brick and do the same thing. Run it close to the fire exit all the way to the Disco that has nothing to the left of it on the roof, leaving the nice space in the middle open for anything else the customer forgot to add in to his master plan that now someone has to jump over. 20' vertical rule for conduit, 16' horizontal for 2", looks like its less than 16' to me though, the fire escape would make the pipe blend right in. Could even do it from the handy dandy fire escape, especially if you installed the pull C at the Tie in... Telling ya my apprenticeship was full of people showing me how to not do stuff through my own examples. I think they had stock in steel cause they made me cut out a lot of pipe for small mistakes I thought I could hide, in the ceiling. More is less less is more, conduit 101.

Hindsight's always 20/10, when you make a plan that's got the end in sight...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My boss would have asked why I didn't roll the first offset to a shallow strut on the protruding brick and run it straight up to the next protruding brick and do the same thing. Run it close to the fire exit all the way to the Disco that has nothing to the left of it on the roof, leaving the nice space in the middle open for anything else the customer forgot to add in to his master plan that now someone has to jump over.

Tell your boss that the next protrusion was five floors up, it was shallow enough that the two-strut-deep-the-entire-way attachment required no offset up there, the contractor that hired me brought plans that chose the pathway, and he had already installed the strut.

20' vertical rule for conduit, 16' horizontal for 2", looks like its less than 16' to me though

The specs/plans called for two supports for every 10 feet of conduit.

Run it close to the fire exit all the way to the Disco that has nothing to the left of it on the roof, leaving the nice space in the middle open for anything else the customer forgot to add in to his master plan that now someone has to jump over.

See my first response above.

the fire escape would make the pipe blend right in. Could even do it from the handy dandy fire escape, especially if you installed the pull C at the Tie in... .

The contractor provided the scaffolding, and the fire escape was tight to the brick, so I had to get out of it right away. And, I had to place the C-bodies higher than the transitions because of the number of bends above them; the return to the wall below the protrusion would have taken me over the limit.

jumper

Never said it wasn't code or legal.

Well that’s good, because it wasn’t. Glad we got that cleared up. I feel better.:)

Hindsight's always 20/10, when you make a plan that's got the end in sight...

What hindsight and plan are you referring to? You screw something up and wanna talk about it?:cool:

Whatever you wrote between those sentences was lost to me, I cannot read large unbroken blocks of text.

They are incomprehensible to my little brain.

masterinbama

I have used tape measures from store shelf many times, then put them back. Tapered threads is about all you will find on field threaded pipe. Straight thread never tightens it just "bottoms out".

IMC is what is harder on threaders. If you have a threader die that is questionable at all it will leave damaged threads on IMC but still threads RMC just fine.
Rigid makes dies specifically for IMC. Well worth the money if you are doing a lot of it

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.