Running RMC, techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.
HD, Lowes and many hardware stores have threaders if they sell pipe. I've gone that route when I had one or two ends. Just bring your pipe and throw them a few bucks.

-Hal

I tried that once, big orange, and they said they couldnt thread RGS because it messed up their dies. I think they were full of it. If anything, RGS may be softer alloy than "pipe" to facilitate bending (thats what I heard, maybe that is BS too).

Carultch

Since you won't be cutting and threading the RMC you can use either threadless connectors or couplings.

compression-rigid-couplings-for-threadless-rigid-conduit.jpg

Most threadless fittings for RMC, are not formally rated for wet locations. The few that are, are hard to find. Most applications where I'd be running RMC, would be in wet locations.

kwired

Electron manager
That was me. I'd be embarrassed to say how many times I had to do it because my bender wasn't on the job with me, but hey, I was headed to the store for pipe anyway. Small jobs, too, so bend location wasn't critical or I had the measurement with me. Heck, most of the time I remembered to bring my tape measure with me into the store. Guess what I did if I forgot? :p

They do threading at these stores, but it's done in the plumbing section, and you probably have no choice but to get tapered threads.
I have used tape measures from store shelf many times, then put them back. Tapered threads is about all you will find on field threaded pipe. Straight thread never tightens it just "bottoms out".

I tried that once, big orange, and they said they couldnt thread RGS because it messed up their dies. I think they were full of it. If anything, RGS may be softer alloy than "pipe" to facilitate bending (thats what I heard, maybe that is BS too).
IMC is what is harder on threaders. If you have a threader die that is questionable at all it will leave damaged threads on IMC but still threads RMC just fine.

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
After a little research, it turns out our conduit is also tapered threads. It's our fittings that are straight threads. Shows you how much RMC I've run.

The couplers that that come on galvanized or black iron pipe are known as “ merchant couplers”. Those couplers all have straight threads. It’s only the cast couplings that have tapered threads.

kwired

Electron manager
The threads on the ring are indeed straight. The body threads may be either.
Kind of been my observation as well.

I try not to use them myself, but sometimes you do need something that can be taken apart later on, other times you may be able to avoid a three piece coupling but also need to use shorter pieces of conduit and more standard couplings to get it assembled, so pick the lesser evil.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can be good fun watching a EMT guy run RMC. Especially when the boss hates unions.

Last year, I ran two 2" RMC runs up the outside of an approximately-100'-tall apartment building for a roof-mounted cellular site. The only Eriksons I used were at the very bottom, where they joined two existing-but-abandoned RMC's from the old service entrance. See thumbs:

The guy who hired me ran his 1-1/4" RMC using non-threaded compression couplings at every cut. Looked really amateurish in comparison, if I may say so.

Attachments

• 160429_001.jpg
    160429_001.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 160429_002.jpg
    160429_002.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.