Running wiremold outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone wants me to put receptacles around the outside of his deck, tapping off an existing duplex on the siding of his house. His deck is too low to get under and run the wire from behind, so he asked if I can run wiremold around the outside to make it look better. My plan is to run the wiremold, but put UF Romex inside of it. I know the boxes aren't rated for the outdoors, but could I use weatherproof boxes w/ some sort of "from-to" to connect to the wiremold? Also, is running romex inside of wiremold even allowed? Heat build-up? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. I'm giving them an estimate for the wiremold and one using 1/2 PVC spray-painted to whatever color they want. Hopefully they go the PVC route! It'll definetly be cheaper!

barbeer

386.10 Uses Permitted.
The use of surface metal raceways shall be permitted in the following:
(1) In dry locations.
(2) In Class I, Division 2 hazardous (classified) locations as permitted in 501.10(B)(3).
(3) Under raised floors, as permitted in 645.5(D)(2).
(4) Extension through walls and floors. Surface metal raceway shall be permitted to pass transversely through dry walls, dry partitions, and dry floors if the length passing through is unbroken. Access to the conductors shall be maintained on both sides of the wall, partition, or floor.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We use 500 Wiremold as "protection from physical damage" in all types of locations. We just don't use it as a raceway. We slide the back out of it and it just becomes an open back steel cover for the NMB or UF or what ever. It basically just protects and dresses up the installation. I rule that this type of installation is NEC compliant no matter what my critics have to say.

steelersman

bkludecke said:
We use 500 Wiremold as "protection from physical damage" in all types of locations. We just don't use it as a raceway. We slide the back out of it and it just becomes an open back steel cover for the NMB or UF or what ever. It basically just protects and dresses up the installation. I rule that this type of installation is NEC compliant no matter what my critics have to say.
That's very interesting to me. I've never thought of or heard of that one. Can you still strap it with wiremold straps?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
phillyk610 said:
is running romex inside of wiremold even allowed? Heat build-up?
As a stand alone question, using wiremold for physical protection of NM or UF is just like using EMT for physical protection.

One other concern of using Wiremold outdoors is, it will rust. Since it sounds like the appearance is what is driving the Owners to consider it, the Wiremold will create billowing rust stains on the wood deck at every rust point. Think of what a single rusting nail head does on a wood fence. Every scratch on the Wiremold. . . .

SiddMartin

Have you looked at removing the siding and taking it through the wall? You could chizel out each stud and put a nail plate on it then. You prolly would have to foam the holes shut though

bkludecke

Occupation
steelersman said:
That's very interesting to me. I've never thought of or heard of that one. Can you still strap it with wiremold straps?

Yep. All of the WM fittings & straps still work with the back of the raceway removed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
phillyk610 said:
His deck is too low to get under and run the wire from behind . . .
I'd approach this from a different angle. You'd be suprised how much UF you can run under a low deck with a fishtape, a hooked wire, a magnet, and long needle-nosed pliers.

I've wired whole platform decks using only the 1" holes for the PVC stub-downs. It's just like wall fishing, except horizontal. Using flashlights in dim daylight helps a lot.

Hint: White tape makes the tip of a fishtape much easier to find in dark places.

Buck Parrish

LarryFine said:
I'd approach this from a different angle. You'd be suprised how much UF you can run under a low deck with a fishtape, a hooked wire, a magnet, and long needle-nosed pliers.

I've wired whole platform decks using only the 1" holes for the PVC stub-downs. It's just like wall fishing, except horizontal. Using flashlights in dim daylight helps a lot.

Hint: White tape makes the tip of a fishtape much easier to find in dark places.

Two or three sticks of 1/2" conduit works well under a deck. Or house for that matter. Put the conduits together with couplings. Fasten the wire and place it any where you want.

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:

How is the cable secured when your done?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
2008 NEC 334.30(B)(1).

I'd take the space under this deck to be a concealed space of the finished structure where supporting the cable is impractical.

iwire

Staff member
al hildenbrand said:
2008 NEC 334.30(B)(1).

I'd take the space under this deck to be a concealed space of the finished structure where supporting the cable is impractical.

Before I got into a long debate on this one I would want to see the deck in question.

But IMO, in many cases the space under a deck is not 'in' a building or structure. It is under or outside the structure.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
iwire said:
How is the cable secured when your done?
I believe he doesn't-- If the deck isn't accessible underneath it will just lay on the ground. I also believe he is using art. 334.30(B)(1) directed from art. 340.10(4) for this install.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
iwire said:
IMO, in many cases the space under a deck is not 'in' a building or structure. It is under or outside the structure.
If the deck structure is so close to the earth that a person can't get under it, then the "space" is concealed by the structure.
phillyk610 said:
His deck is too low to get under . . .
The definition doesn't say that the concealment has to be done only by structure or finish.

Also, the deck is part of the dwelling if it is attached to the dwelling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.