RV Receptacle Equipment ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Several RV Receptacles are mounted in a 4" sq cover & mounted to a 4" sq box which is connected to the panel by EMT (Surface run in a shed).
. A bonding jumper is installed between the box and the receptacle.
Is this a violation ?? (Thinking primarily of the wroding in 551.76)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Which part of 551.76? Are you suggesting that the connection of the jumper to the box is not by "listed means"?

As a matter of language, "shall be permitted to be spliced by listed means" is a null requirement, it doesn't mean "shall only be permitted to be
spliced by listed means."

Cheers, Wayne

ritelec

(A) exposed non-current carrying metal parts of fixed equipment, metal box's, cabinets, and fittings that are not electrically connected to grounded equipment shall be connected to equipment grounded conductor conductor run with circuit conductors...

What is "electrically connected"? EGC?

I would think if the emt has no egc in it the answer is no.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I'm saying it means a wire type conductor must be run for grounding... but that's my read.....

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
EMT is an EGC per 250.118. And since 551.76 doesn't say "of the wire type," there's no requirement to use an EGC of the wire type.

Cheers, Wayne

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
EMT is an EGC per 250.118. And since 551.76 doesn't say "of the wire type," there's no requirement to use an EGC of the wire type.

Cheers, Wayne
Understand that...however, .. the wording is a bit strange to me... to grounded equipment shall be grounded by an equipment grounding conductor run with the circuit conductors almost sounds like a wire type.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Understand that...however, .. the wording is a bit strange to me... to grounded equipment shall be grounded by an equipment grounding conductor run with the circuit conductors almost sounds like a wire type.
And the raceway is not run with the circuit conductors? Where the code requires an EGC of the wire type, it says exactly that. See, for example, 440.9.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I wonder if 551.76 is a hold over from the days that it was permissible to run a feeder to a detached structure without an EGC and just reestablish the EGC at the feeder disconnect. A practice that 551.76 disallows for RV parks.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.