S&C Vista switch

tttttocsn

Occupation
PE
I have a six-way S&C Vista switch model 615. Five "ways" in this switch have OCP, and one does not. Typically, how would the feeder connect?

Woule It would enter through a relayed connection or a non-relayed connection. I believe it can be either way, but is there a typical or an advantage to doing it one way or another?

Also, the utility relay upstream has an LTPU above the 600A rating of this Vista switch. The utility tells me that this is normal. Would this condition force me to use a connection that had OCP in the switch?

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Normally the feeder connects to the way without an interrupter. Often the interrupters are 200 A but 600 A is probably an option as well. Utilities could certainly have a feeder OC pickup that could be above the feeder rating.

If you are taking service from the utility via this Vista unit, it would be a service entrance so you will have a lot of issues to deal with. If it is all owned by the utility, then it's their problem. If you're just worried about the 600 A rating, then maybe an upstream fuse could be added.