S.O.S...Newbie Foreman (JIW), NO "Go To" Man, Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
sparky252 said:
Thanks, I'll check it out but I got it in my head that I don't have to for a frig, dedicated. How to address nuisance trips than? Defrosting food in freezer.

There are no exceptions for commercial kitchens.

If the equipment trips the GFCI they need the equipment serviced or replaced.

A couple of suggestions.

Place the GFCI at the utilization equipment not at the panel.

Do not use one GFCI device to protect more than one piece of utilization equipment.

hillbilly

sparky 252
Having been thrown in over my head many times in the past, I can speak from experience. It's a good way to learn, and the lessons learned will not be forgotten.
I've had to wear and break in numerous hats in my time and it's made me a wiser man, if pre-maturely gray headed.
How many times have you thought "If I was in charge, this is how I would do it"? Well..it's your turn and you'll see what it's like on the "other side".
Give it your best shot, don't be afraid to ask questions, and learn how to recognize B.S. when you hear it
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Good luck.
steve

sparky252

hillbilly said:
sparky 252
Having been thrown in over my head many times in the past, I can speak from experience. It's a good way to learn, and the lessons learned will not be forgotten.
I've had to wear and break in numerous hats in my time and it's made me a wiser man, if pre-maturely gray headed.
How many times have you thought "If I was in charge, this is how I would do it"? Well..it's your turn and you'll see what it's like on the "other side".
Give it your best shot, don't be afraid to ask questions, and learn how to recognize B.S. when you hear it
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Good luck.
steve

Thank You!!!!!!!!!

JohnJ0906

First, I've been-there, done-that. Write down all your questions, discrepancies, etc. Firmly explain to the GC that he MUST do his job! You have questions, it is his job to find the answers, not run a jackhammer. If he didn't like the way you went to the custoner rep, tough sh--. He wasn't ding his job. Stand your ground, and you REQUIRE back-up from your employer. To be honest, if my boss did this to me to this extreme, I would be sending out my resume. You sound like a very consiencious worker, and seem like you are not afraid to ask the questions, but if you can't get answers, the work can't get done. Tell that to the GC. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

sparky252

JohnJ0906 said:
First, I've been-there, done-that. Write down all your questions, discrepancies, etc. Firmly explain to the GC that he MUST do his job! You have questions, it is his job to find the answers, not run a jackhammer. If he didn't like the way you went to the custoner rep, tough sh--. He wasn't ding his job. Stand your ground, and you REQUIRE back-up from your employer. To be honest, if my boss did this to me to this extreme, I would be sending out my resume. You sound like a very consiencious worker, and seem like you are not afraid to ask the questions, but if you can't get answers, the work can't get done. Tell that to the GC. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Thanks John!

I hear you loud & clear. I am determined to get'er done. Just now trying to finalize lists of questions/ all possible material for rough-in, questions for first conversation w/ state inspector. (Man..hope no one asks me nothing at this point!) :0

I think I will ask some single specific questions on this forum to seperate the "trees in the forest", such as: Is submittals the same as catalog cut sheets? A basic, potentially dumb question but I like to know definitions that are tossed around.

This is not the first time I have been in a self-taught position but this maybe the most serious/important one so far in my life.

sparky252

Daily Update...

Today, I had a long list of questions but consodliated most into 2 RFI's as I did not want to over-RFI 'em. They have a total of 6 so far. Of the 6, one was verbally answered via GC Rep from his bi-weekly job meeting. "yes, they do want generator emergency power to one of the 4 lights". I replied, I believe it is 2 according to the symbols. He mumbled agreement but I do feel confident it is 2.

GC Rep did admit today that the "prints" are bad. Is that unusual for a GC to admit? (this is the type of guy that would not say poop if his mouth was full of it either.)

He also admitted that he, too, seems to spin his wheels most of the day and has a hard time remembering what he got done.

We took a tour of the 2nd phase in the some patient rooms. He wants me to start on those next week. I got alot of roughing to do downstairs in kitchen. My eyes got big and I don't know what I said.:mad:

I do not even want to look at those prints until kitchen is mostly finished. Guess I should take a look at that schedule. And, how to address I am behind but seem to not be able to go forward either. But, boy, do the days go by fast! I may not be that far behind. The GC rep has alot more jackhammering to do, like 13' X 10' that was a surprise to him.

I asked the plumber how the prints were working out for him. He paused and said, calmly, "one thing was right so far". "This job is different".

Want daily updates?

Bob NH

"I asked the plumber how the prints were working out for him. He paused and said, calmly, "one thing was right so far". "This job is different"."

You should be figuring out how to submit and get paid for change orders. On a job like you have described:

No change orders=Losing money
Few change orders = little or no profit
Appropriate change orders for every change = nice profit

Sparky252

You got a lot to learn. See if you can pick up a couple of books by Civitello. One is called, "The Contractors Guide to Change Orders". It's a blue book that runs around $80.00. But it has been the bible for many contractors. It has form letters for RFI's, Change Orders, etc.

I've been generating electrical working drawings for over 30 years. I have also spent at least 2 years as an electrician. But I'm a better engineer than an electrician. To make a long story short, I know what should be on a set of plans (otherwise known as the Contract Documents). You need realize that you never decide scope on a project. Because, as the saying goes, "Once you start playing designer, you start paying designer". You assume the liability if you start making decisions for the design professional. Who represents the owner. The only two entities that have a legal agreement typically on a project is the Contractor and the Owner. You are the Contractors sub. And architect/engineer is the owner's rep. They set the scope. It is their responsibilty to issue a set of plans that specify all the major componants of the project. Unfortunately, since we live in the real world, and very seldom do you find engineers that know how to construct, those plans are going to have what is legally referred to as "errors and omissions". Anything that falls in this catagory should be fixed on their dime, not yours. Anything that falls under the catagory of "means and methods", is your dime, not theirs.

Now, write your RFI's with only one subject per RFI. Keep a separate 3-ring binder just for them. Change orders always start with an innocent RFI being generated. Get in the habit with ending your RFI's with the same 2 words that I have come to hate, "Please advise". It doesn't matter if you generate 200 RFI's on a project. If they don't like that many RFI's, they should have issued better plans. Don't try to be a nice guy, but try to be professional in your correspondence. And document everything. Keep a separate 3-ring binder as a Project Manual that shows the day-to-day progress and communication with the respective trades.

It's not a "generator emergency power". Generators are a completely different animal and would not be used on small projects. Just specify your light fixture with an "emergency ballast" or "batt pack" to give you the egress lighting. All your required by code is to give one footcandle along the path of egress for 90 minutes out to a public way. Since you probably don't have a designated path shown on the architectural plans, put that light fixture in the grid nearest to the exterior door of the kitchen.

It's not your problem the prints are bad. I don't know how many times a contractor has said to me, "How would I know, I'm a dumb contractor?" They knew, they just wanted me to tell them.

Try to get all your responses in writing. A paper trail is a pain, but it is very important. You need to get all your RFI's issued as soon as possible to give the GC the time to issue them to the owner and the owner time to copy the architect and the architect the time to fax it over to the engineer and the engineer time to let it set in his in basket while he try's to get other projects out the door or he's just scared because he doesn't know the answer and doesn't want to tell the architect. But just as you put the date you issue the RFI, also put the date you expect a reply. Usually it is a couple of weeks. If you got to schedule an inspection to sign off on your rough-in, but you can't finish your rough-in because the drawings do not show the ampacity of that blixer, and if they don't show that, you can't size your wire or conduit to put in the wall, so if two weeks go by and no response, you send out another RFI asking them to respond to the previous RFI or the project will be delayed on a day to day schedule until that information is provided. Or just request for a "time extension" to the GC. I guarantee that will get their attention. And you will get your RFI's answered.

Last edited:
Originally posted by sparky252:
Today, I had a long list of questions but consodliated most into 2 RFI's as I did not want to over-RFI 'em. They have a total of 6 so far. Of the 6, one was verbally answered via GC Rep from his bi-weekly job meeting. "yes, they do want generator emergency power to one of the 4 lights". I replied, I believe it is 2 according to the symbols. He mumbled agreement but I do feel confident it is 2.

If it is a 3-lamp fixture, you would specify a "single-lamp emergency ballast".

If it is a 4-lamp fixture, you would specify a "2-lamp emergency ballast".

Just say one of those to your distributor and he'll know what to do.

One other thing, they are not "egg grates", they are parabolic louvers. The large squares are "parabolics" and the little squares are called "parawedges". And when you don't use them, your dealing with prismatic lenses.

sparky252

Excellent Samblv

Excellent Samblv

Excellent Samblv,

I really do like to who, what, where, when and WHY. Thank You!

Today I will become a papertail machine. Will go back in time, some what and lay some paper on 'em.

Thanks Again!!

sparky252

samblv said:
Originally posted by sparky252:
One other thing, they are not "egg grates", they are parabolic louvers. The large squares are "parabolics" and the little squares are called "parawedges". And when you don't use them, your dealing with prismatic lenses.

I may of not been clear on the egg crate. This egg grate is part of the ceiling system, not the luminaire lens. It is in combo w/ drywall.

It is being used above the walk-in cooler and 3 Rethermoization/thermo units.

Thanks for the light info.

Status
Not open for further replies.