SABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Got an email asking about load calc for small appliance branch circuit...
The code says at least two appliance circuits at 1500va per circuit for the kitchen. If I run a dedicated micro circuits do I count that as a 3rd appliance circuits or do I just add the micro into the appliance calc(I.e micro 1200va+dish 400va+ disp 1100va.) also, if I did run a third circuites to say an island is my calc now 3 circuites at 1500 va for the kitchen?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
As far as the NEC load calculations, you just need to show the two SABC. The dishwasher and disposal are not part of the SABC. You would need to add them according to the nameplates of each.
IMO, you could have 5 SABC and not add much if any to the load. So I'm guessing the code panel took into consideration the fact that not all of any added SABC would be used at the same time so they went with two.

Same principle as adding branch circuits in excess of the required for the square footage of the house. You still figure the load based on the sq ft of the house.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If it is an additional SABC then it is added as such. If it is a microwave circuit then
it is added as an appliance circuit

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If it is an additional SABC then it is added as such. If it is a microwave circuit then it is added as an appliance circuit
A 'countertop' microwave is not a fixed-in-place appliance.

All receptacle outlets in the kitchen must be served by an SABC per 210.52(B)(1).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Tom, IMO if the mw is built in and not on the counter then you would use the nameplate wattage. If you add a counter circuit then, as stated above, you need to add a 3third small appliance branch circuit. Now it is 1500 va times 3 not 2.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
As far as the NEC load calculations, you just need to show the two SABC. The dishwasher and disposal are not part of the SABC. You would need to add them according to the nameplates of each.
IMO, you could have 5 SABC and not add much if any to the load. So I'm guessing the code panel took into consideration the fact that not all of any added SABC would be used at the same time so they went with two.

Same principle as adding branch circuits in excess of the required for the square footage of the house. You still figure the load based on the sq ft of the house.

I stand corrected on the 3rd (or more) SABC being counted. I read 220.52(A) as saying "......for each 2-wire SA branch circuit required by 210.(C)(1)" meant only the two required. But 210.(C)(1) actually says "two or more". So if you do the "or more" than that adds to the total.

Status
Not open for further replies.