Safety glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many guys actually wear safety glasses all day every day?

I have worked at places where u absouloutly had to have them on and it seems not to bother me after a
little while. My shop now their optional and i cant seem to keep them on or even close by. Plus they end up in a pile of tools n their ruined. A special pouch seems to put them with my less commonly used tools... where their not readily accessible.

Any tips on storage, brand and habits from the guys that do wear them?

Besoeker

I have worked at places where u absouloutly had to have them on and it seems not to bother me after a
little while. My shop now their optional and i cant seem to keep them on or even close by. Plus they end up in a pile of tools n their ruined. A special pouch seems to put them with my less commonly used tools... where their not readily accessible.

I wear glasses. Eye tests here are free for those ancient people like myself. You can shop around for lenses made to that fit that prescription. My company (Eaton Corporation) did to get safety lenses so I wore those as my regular glasses.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

Go buy flash protection rated glasses on line , they're cheaper by the box

I just keep 'em on my gourd all day, now & then they get cleaned off in a cellar or crawlspace

But i've learned to wear them anytime i energize anything.....I became a 'believer' the hard way back when an Xformer blew on me & blinded me for a good 5 min's....:(

~RJ~

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Some GC's that we work with require them to be worn all of the time. Other GC's require them when cutting, drilling, chopping, etc. With the latter group no one voluntarily wears them all of the time. The same would apply to hardhats if they were optional.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I worry about eye protection both on and off the job so my prescription glasses are safety glasses. Therefore, I am protected most of my waking hours every day of the year. (I don't however wear the removable side shields unless I'm on a construction site or at the gun range. I've had spent brass hit me there.) You only have two eyes and it would really suck to lose one. My glasses have saved my eyes more than once and have the scratched lenses to prove it.

I also require my employees to wear safety glasses when on the clock.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
My glasses have saved my eyes more than once and have the scratched lenses to prove it.
And I can say the same thing. :thumbsup:

I also require my employees to wear safety glasses when on the clock.
And another :thumbsup:

I will also say hearing protection should be along the same lines, I am hard of hearing now (started back in my 40's) and wish there would have been more requirements for protection during my early career. Besides the hearing loss I am high pitch tone deaf (I attribute this to loud squealing drill motors and such) and can't even hear my dog whine witch bugs the heck out of my wife. I have to rely on her to hear the brake indicators on our cars. :(

Roger

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
One time I went to a plant where I was always expected to wear a hard hat, but this time I was only going into the office, so was told I could leave it in the car. I already had it out, so I took it anyway and the most convenient place to carry it was on my head. As I was leaving at the end of the day, I came down and enclosed staircase where they had obviously added the enclosure and fire door as an afterthought, because they had to cut into the last concrete step for the door. because of the difference in height, and the fact that I was talking AND walking (too much for brain), my heel caught the edge of the step and pitched me forward into the fire door, head first. The force of the impact split my helmet in half; that would have been my SKULL! Ever since then, I wear my PPE whether I think I need it or not.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My first job out of college was in an explosives manufacturing plant, for 11 years. I got so used to wearing them that at my next job, where they weren't required I felt uncomfortable not wearing them.

Timbert

All day, every day.

I wear prescription glasses, progressive lenses. The company helps pay for them ($150/year). Proper glasses cost more than that but my eyes I can't put a price on.

My tip is if you wear prescription glasses, is get prescription safety glasses. You won't need to take them off to see. Get multi-focal glasses if you need them so you don't need to change glasses. If you don't wear glasses shop around and find comfortable glasses, don't be afraid to try many pair, until you find the ones that won't fog or otherwise hinder your vision. Then get in the habit of always keeping them on, don't take them off just because you are in an area that doesn't require them.

I used to wear MCR Klondike metal frame glasses, very comfortable but didn't like the fact they were conductive. They sell a plastic version as well. I bought from http://safetycompany.com inexpensive and quick. Also don't forget to pick up a breakaway lanyard (hard to forget them if they are around your neck) and a hardshell case that will protect them even banging around in a tool box (still better to wear them, but for after quitting time).

Also if you get inexpensive ones (MCR Klondike are <$5 each), don't just get one pair, get several. When they get scratched get rid of them. Otherwise you will be tempted to remove them because the scratch interferes with your vision.

I only have one pair that is scratched. A souvenir of when a cutting disc I was using disintegrated leaving me with a laceration above and below my eye and a ruined pair of safety glasses, but I still have vision in both eyes, so I call that a win.

I'm a firm believer in PPE. I'm in an engineering/supervisory capacity these days but I wear safety boots, safety glasses, hardhat, high visibility, and FR clothing every single day. Most days I'm not exposed to those hazards, but I don't have to change if I'm needed to go into a hazardous area, also I'm not tempted to walk into such an area unprepared.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
All day, every day.

I wear prescription glasses, progressive lenses. The company helps pay for them ($150/year). Proper glasses cost more than that but my eyes I can't put a price on.

My tip is if you wear prescription glasses, is get prescription safety glasses. You won't need to take them off to see. Get multi-focal glasses if you need them so you don't need to change glasses. If you don't wear glasses shop around and find comfortable glasses, don't be afraid to try many pair, until you find the ones that won't fog or otherwise hinder your vision. Then get in the habit of always keeping them on, don't take them off just because you are in an area that doesn't require them.

I used to wear MCR Klondike metal frame glasses, very comfortable but didn't like the fact they were conductive. They sell a plastic version as well. I bought from http://safetycompany.com inexpensive and quick. Also don't forget to pick up a breakaway lanyard (hard to forget them if they are around your neck) and a hardshell case that will protect them even banging around in a tool box (still better to wear them, but for after quitting time).

Also if you get inexpensive ones (MCR Klondike are <$5 each), don't just get one pair, get several. When they get scratched get rid of them. Otherwise you will be tempted to remove them because the scratch interferes with your vision.

I only have one pair that is scratched. A souvenir of when a cutting disc I was using disintegrated leaving me with a laceration above and below my eye and a ruined pair of safety glasses, but I still have vision in both eyes, so I call that a win.

I'm a firm believer in PPE. I'm in an engineering/supervisory capacity these days but I wear safety boots, safety glasses, hardhat, high visibility, and FR clothing every single day. Most days I'm not exposed to those hazards, but I don't have to change if I'm needed to go into a hazardous area, also I'm not tempted to walk into such an area unprepared.
What about your underwear? Does it have any polyester in it?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What about your underwear? Does it have any polyester in it?

When I worked in the explosive plant they did strongly suggest you wear cotton "tighty whities." They weren't about to do inspections, but the image of having your undies melted onto your skin was a pretty strong incentive for most folks.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I wear eye and hearing protection anytime I pickup a power tool.

I haven’t always; but after a couple of after hours trips to the eye doctor, I always put my glasses on now. I have hearing loss also, so it’s a must for me now to keep it from getting worse. If I’m on a jobsite with equipment running or just lots of noise in general, I put my earplugs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG-1

Its all day everyday in the shop area or you are fired.
Safety shoes are also required or you are fired.

The first offence will get you a warning, the second time you are most likely out the door.

wtucker

My company (Eaton Corporation) did to get safety lenses so I wore those as my regular glasses.

Safety lenses aren't enough! I've gone to a couple of optical shops for safety glasses, and have been told "all glasses are safety glasses." But if you ask for "industrial safety glasses," you get a different response. Safety glasses have safety lenses AND safety frames (which are stronger than many normal frames) and sideshields (mine are removable, so I can wear the glasses every day).

If you get polycarbonate lenses, they'll also remove 99% of UV light and be lighter than glass lenses.

You can also get safety glasses tinted, polarized or photochromic (self-darkening), and with various coatings for scratch resistance or glare reduction.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Safety lenses aren't enough! I've gone to a couple of optical shops for safety glasses, and have been told "all glasses are safety glasses." But if you ask for "industrial safety glasses," you get a different response. Safety glasses have safety lenses AND safety frames (which are stronger than many normal frames) and sideshields (mine are removable, so I can wear the glasses every day).

If you get polycarbonate lenses, they'll also remove 99% of UV light and be lighter than glass lenses.

You can also get safety glasses tinted, polarized or photochromic (self-darkening), and with various coatings for scratch resistance or glare reduction.

if they are ansi rated frames they will be labeled Z87 on the frame somewhere. Mine says Z87-2. No idea what the "-2" means. Allowable side shields will also be labeled Z87. My understanding is that polycarbonate is the only accepted lens material for safety glasses.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Mine says Z87-2. No idea what the "-2" means. Allowable side shields will also be labeled Z87. My understanding is that polycarbonate is the only accepted lens material for safety glasses.

-2 is on frames for prescription safety eyewear.

Side shields have more rigid requirements than in the past; in GENERAL, they must be approved by the frame manufacturer and tested with the appropriate frame.

Polycarbonate is by far the most popular lens material, but a new (10 years or so) material, Trivex, has a big following. It is optically superior to polycarbonate in several ways, but more $$ and lens are a little thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.