Safety issue with QO main in Homeline panel....please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARKS40

HOM24M100C load center with QOM100VH main breaker is a potential shock hazard.......I have seen two of these in two days that have a defective main breaker. With the main in the off position, one load side leg REMAINS ENERGIZED!!!!! This is a 24 slot mainbreaker panel that retails for around $91.00 at Home Depot. This main is also used in their 20 slot value pack. I don't know how many other Square D panels utilize this breaker. The breaker in question has an "E" in large bold type at the top of the label, and the number 62 in a box next to where it says "QOM1". If any of you guys have recently installed any Square D resi products, you may want to check these breakers. I have informed Square D, Home Depot, and CPSC of the issue. Just wanted to give a heads up. This kind of shatters the previous faith i had in SD products. I'll definately be checking this with a meter on all installs now. :mad:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
HOM24M100C load center with QOM100VH main breaker is a potential shock hazard.......I have seen two of these in two days that have a defective main breaker. With the main in the off position, one load side leg REMAINS ENERGIZED!!!!! This is a 24 slot mainbreaker panel that retails for around $91.00 at Home Depot. This main is also used in their 20 slot value pack. I don't know how many other Square D panels utilize this breaker. The breaker in question has an "E" in large bold type at the top of the label, and the number 62 in a box next to where it says "QOM1". If any of you guys have recently installed any Square D resi products, you may want to check these breakers. I have informed Square D, Home Depot, and CPSC of the issue. Just wanted to give a heads up. This kind of shatters the previous faith i had in SD products. I'll definately be checking this with a meter on all installs now. :mad:

You should be checking for power anyway after opening the main.

have you sent the defective breaker back to Sq D for analysis?

SPARKS40

You should be checking for power anyway after opening the main.

have you sent the defective breaker back to Sq D for analysis?

I normally DO check after the main is opened, which is how i found this. I take nothing for granted with electricity. I have not sent the breaker to them yet. I'm waiting for a call back from their breaker division, which i haven't gotten yet. I also called the supply houses that deal with Square D, but i almost wonder if big box gets a lower grade of product than wholesalers. I've seen that with Lithonia and Cooper products before in regard to ballasts.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I wonder how there can be such a difference in prices for the same thing.

Shneider sells the panel for $513.00

http://www.schneider-electric.us/pr...ctDetail&countryCode=us&partNumber=HOM24M100C

Gordon shows the original price of $513.00 crossed out and the new price is $87.22

Wholesale Electric gets $299.50

Home Depot, as the OP mentioned, gets $91.00

That's a pretty large variance in pricing. Enough to make me wonder if the panels have been cheapened up to the point of failure.

zog

The QO series is perhaps the most commonly counterfieted breaker out there, here are just a few notices and where they were traced back to.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml08/08151.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08286.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml07/07036.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08054.html

Cavie

Please tell me that nobody thinks for one minute that anybody pays attention to SQD list prices??????????????
Yes, companys do cheapen their products for big orange a blue. Ballast are one of those products. but I do not think SQD is one of them YET !!! Deal with a reputible supply houses and they will get the answers you need. SQD doesn't have time to deal with mom and pop shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.