Safety of 14-50 to 6-20 adapter

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Not necessarily.
We are saying this adapter is beyond the scope of the NEC.
If you plug in an adapter I'd say you've set it up for use or service.
and the NEC covers:
90.2 (A) Covered. This Code covers the installation and removal
of electrical conductors, equipment, .....
for the following:
(1) Public and private premises, including ....

For example which part of the NEC protects #18 and #16 gauge extension cords feeding corded gardening tools like hedge clippers or leaf blowers?
I'd say:
240.5 Protection of Flexible Cords, Flexible Cables, and Fix-
ture Wires. Flexible cord and flexible cable, including tinsel
cord and extension cords, and fixture wires shall be protected
against overcurrent by either 240.5(A) or (B).

kwired

Electron manager
I dunno, I'm imagining a jammed old radial saw that would be fine if a 20A breaker tripped after a few seconds but not fine if it somehow got left on on a 50A breaker for several minutes. Time matters when things are heating up.
That radial saw motor would likely have a motor overload protector that would open the circuit if it were stalled, possibly even before a 20 amp breaker would trip.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If you plug in an adapter I'd say you've set it up for use or service.

I'd say:
Are you, the permit holder, including this adapter as part of your install?
If it is being installed by an owner, do the local rules/government say a permit is required to plugin cord connected equipment?

240.5(B)(3) does not say the NEC branch overcurrent devices protect small extension cords, rather it says factory extension cords can be considered as protected when applied within their listing. So what size OCPD is allowed by UL?
240.5(B)(4) says field fabricated cords #16 and larger an be protected by branch devices up to 20A. Should we infer that field fabricated #18 cords are never allowed?
Similar to above, how many localities require permits or inspections of owner 'inserted' extension cords.

Edit add:
In my community, extension cord and adapter use would be in forced by the fire department. But they rarely, if ever, inspect single family residences.

Last edited:

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Edit add:
In my community, extension cord and adapter use would be in forced by the fire department. But they rarely, if ever, inspect single family residences.
I agree, I am nit picking with ya on holiday because i am up way too late and its something that bugs me on this forum is when people, whith otherwise very good advise mix up what the code legally covers and what a typical building dept electrical construction inspector enforces / covers.
Yes in the new tract homes we do, the AHJ walks thru and gives a CO with no appliances present, the inspection stops at the outlets.
But its highly inaccurate to say the NEC stops at the receptacle, and I learned that at a Mike Holt seminar so if in doubt ask the man himself.
You as an EE or licensed installer are still subject to the full force of the law, OSHA, Fire Marshall, and civil liability have a reach much farther that what the local construction inspector has. The scope of the code is what they use in court NEC 90.2 on a big slide.
I bet (and pray) very few of you have been dragged into court before for insurance subrogation suit after a fire or major fatality, unfortunately I have and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. The expert witnesses and attorneys working for the insured don't stop at the receptacle.
So sure nobody cares about your 18awg leaf blower cord, but if you in your professional capacity provide and install some cords or cord adapters for a public event, or public building and a fire or accident happens you can rest assured your installation is covered by the NEC.
End of rant