Safety Toe Kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmonroe

Recently we had a injury at my workplace. We are doing are investigation of the cause. The safety toe kicks, which are in series with the E-Stop circuit, are just standard two position switches.
My question is...are these switches consider safety rated equipment?

Switch rating; 10 Amp
600 Volt
Heavy Duty

Thanks

rmonroe

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Safety Toe Kick

Originally posted by rmonroe:. . . are these switches consider safety rated equipment?
The phrase ?safety rated? does not appear in the NEC. Nor does ?safety rating.? I do not know precisely what either phrase would mean. Perhaps they are in one of the fire or building codes?

rmonroe

I?m sorry for not be comprehensible on my first posting on ?Toe Kicks?. I believe you need more detail. We are using standard heavy-duty two position limit switches for this safety application. Switches are wired in the E-Stop circuit.

Is there a special limit switch for an E-Stop guarding application that should be used?

Thanks

rmonroe

websparky

There is no particular brand...??

However, the switch used for an E-Stop must not re-energize the circuit when it is returned to it's normally closed position. The switches used should not be momentary type.

Depending on the application, there are several other rules that may apply. NFPA 79 covers E-Stops.

[ March 19, 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: websparky ]

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

are these switches consider safety rated equipment?

There is no such thing as "safety rated" or anything of the sort. If the toe kick assemblies incorporate the switches you describe the manufacturer has determined that they are suitable for the purpose.

If these switches failed and contributed to an injury either take it up with the manufacturer to see if you are using them as intended or choose another brand or method.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.