Same pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

Same pool as last night,,,different question. I was not hired on this job until last week. Indoor underground pool in a finished basement. Water line level with floor line. The pool had already been poured when I got there. I don't know what steel is in the form or what. All the PVC pipes come into the pool pump room out of the slab with (1) #12 green THWN embedded in the pour with the pipes. I don't know where the other end is. (rebar in form I suppose,or how they attached it. There are 3 windows within 5 feet of the water, and a metal rail and ladder will be installed. If I had been there to start with, there would be a #8 stubbed up by the base of ladder, the base of the hand rail and a #8 to the reinforcements in the cement. What can (or would) you do now? One #12 was all they gave me to work with.

SEO

I would comply with Art 680 or I wouldn't do the job. You may have to saw some concrete to achieve the bonding requirements.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Just got thru inspecting a similiar situation. 4 or 5 years old, no bonding.
Saw cuts, remove concrete at ladders, rails, light, etc & bond. Was less intense than I expected.

mcclary's electrical

I'd ask for all of the inspections to date, from the GC, from whoever ran the green wire, or from the permits and inspections dept.

Thanks, Larry. I'll do that. I'm battling with myself as to wheter or not to bill them for this work, or should I just eat this because I should have seen it on the walkthrough before I bid??. What would you call this, A mistake, or a change order? opinions please, It's not my fault it wasn't done properly, but it is my fault I did not see this on the walkthrough. Huge house, alot to document in a short walkthrough. I missed this part.

I would not eat the cost, it is not your fault it was improperly installed to begin with.

As an inspector, I have required the concrete to be removed where necessary to comply with 680.26, this happens more than you may imagine.
It is easy to get confirmation from a building department, as pools scare them more than most electrical installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.