Sandwich heater machine says (Max circuit requirement 40A), should i size breaker per that or by 125%

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello. I have a Sandwich heater machine (Max circuit requirement 40A), should i size breaker per that or by 125%. I'm thinking of sizing the breaker by 1.25 to 50A, especially since the plug is rated for 50. But it also says (max circuit requirement is 40A) - im not sure if that means FLA or Maximum breaker. The wires will be rated for 50Amp anyways, but should i size the breaker for 40A or 50A?

Thank you,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-27 144652.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-27 144652.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 9

NEC Inspector

Occupation
Inspector
40 amp breaker. The wiring/etc. in the machine itself is why the manufacturer does not want you to go above 40 amps. If the machine is pulling more than a 40 amp breaker can take, something is wrong (and might be on fire). Do not take a manufacturer's recommendations x 1.25.

Your wiring and receptacle are fine either way.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I would go 50A breaker and 50A branch circuit wiring.

By code, you could do infinity's and NEC Inspector.

You are looking at section 422.10 / 422.11.

The "Max circuit requirement" sounds like an FLA to me. Usually they would say "MOCP", "Max Overcurrent", "Circuit Protection". If you take the 8300VA and divide by 208, it is 39.9A. They also call that max input further leading me to believe it to just be a FLA.

If you are installing 50A wiring, then why not use the 50A breaker. It lands you at your continuous rating for the appliance but does not exceed the 150% maximum.

Maybe reach out to the manufacturer for clarification.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Before doing that you'll need to figure out what "Max Circuit Requirement" means on the nameplate. Sounds like they don't want this protected by a 50 amp OCPD.

Ya, reaching out to the manufacturer would be the move. Max input power sounds so much like rated power to me.

I went down a couple and did the latin america one. 8800/220 = 40A and they put the 50A in parenthesis. So you all might be right on the 40A.