Sanitary Lift Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

hajijm

Your second opinion is highly appreciated on this issue, we would like to confirm whether the attached electrical classification for the pump?s motor is equivalent to Class I, Z-I or not? The motor of the submersible pump is installed in a sanitary lift station and classified per the data sheet as follows ?Motor Housing CAST IRON STMA 48 class 35B?
Does this classification is equivalent to Class I, Z-I. Also, attached copy of the confirmation letter received that confirming that the motors for all Flygt pumps have IP 68 class of protection. Again, is this type of protection is equivalent to Class I, Z-I.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Your second opinion is highly appreciated on this issue, we would like to confirm whether the attached electrical classification for the pump?s motor is equivalent to Class I, Z-I or not? The motor of the submersible pump is installed in a sanitary lift station and classified per the data sheet as follows ?Motor Housing CAST IRON STMA 48 class 35B?
Does this classification is equivalent to Class I, Z-I. Also, attached copy of the confirmation letter received that confirming that the motors for all Flygt pumps have IP 68 class of protection. Again, is this type of protection is equivalent to Class I, Z-I.
An IP 68 rating alone for the motor enclosure is not adequate for Class I, Zone 1. The previous statement is true for any NEC or IEC based classification methodology. The full markings requirements may be slightly different, but the ultimate effect is the same.

nakulak

regardless of whether or not the item was equivalent, wouldn't it have to be listed or labelled by a nrtl in order for it to be code compliant ? (other than by special permission ?)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
regardless of whether or not the item was equivalent, wouldn't it have to be listed or labelled by a nrtl in order for it to be code compliant ? (other than by special permission ?)
Not necessarily; although it is usually true. Approved, Identified, Listed and Labeled are each terms with slightly different shades of meaning and none of them are totally inclusive of any or all of the other three.

One of the best examples is "ordinary location" motors that are properly used in Class I, Division 2. They aren't listed or labled for anything - even "ordinary locations;" nevertheless, they can be identified and should be approved.

Throughout Chapter 5, and especially in Articles 501 and 505, there are statements that certain installations and their components must be identified. Again using motors as a easy example, even in Division 1 they are not required to be listed or labeled. See 501.105(A)(1) and VERY CAREFULLY read the definitions of Identified, Listed and Labeled in Article 100.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.