Sauna---GFI Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregoryelectricinc

I have always benn taught that these stand-alone sauna kits need to be protected by a GFI breaker.
I now have a customer that claims that they do not need to have GFI protection. I can't seem to find a code reference to back up my opinion that it does need GFI. Am I wrong? Every bit (which ain't much some days) of common sense I have says to put it on a GFI. Any opinions and/or code ref's?

jimwalker

Re: Sauna---GFI Required?

Can't find anything special on saunas.I do believe being people usually takes showers before going in them that a gfci is wise,but required might depend on where this is installed.Any one able to site a code #?

Sauna have water so way would you not protect them with a gfci. How do you control the sauna and where are the controls located.
I have found your ahj to be helpful in these cases.

That is if your ahj is helpful!!

electricmanscott

There is no need for gfci protecttion that I can find. A sauna is simply a room lined with wood with an electric heater. The only water would be a small bucket thet you pour on the heating unit to create a little moisture.
I do believe being people usually takes showers before going in them that a gfci is wise
Better gfci my bed! :D

canadian

Electroman....I take it from your link we should not GFCI the sauna and perhaps leave the live conductors exposed to fry those pesty rodents! Thanks for the link....it was a good Saturday night laugh! :) :)

electricmanscott

After the party I did a little more research. All the tech info I found specify either 120 or 240 dedicated circuit depending on the unit size. No mentions of gfci protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.