Say no to polyester work clothes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megloff11x

Having lived through the 1970's, and being unable to run for public office now because of the existence of embarrassing photographs of me in bad hair and wearing tacky leisure suits, and plaid sport coats, I have to ask, is there a way to convince those who make work clothes to stop using synthetic materials?

My father had a 50/50 poly-cotton blend shirt melted to his back at work. After getting out of the hospital, he dumped all of his work clothes in the Salvation Army bin and sent my mother forth to acquire 100% cotton work clothes.

The polyester and poly-cotton blends tend to look neater. They don't have to be starched and sometimes not even ironed. But they are usually hot.

But worst of all, they melt when exposed to sparks, arc flash, etc.

Yet companies will buy them and send them off for embroidery of name and logo because they give a better appearance. Until a spark from the welder or a machine hits them.

I found some heavy weight 100% cotton shirts for extra tall & fat guys at Cabelas and they don't get wrinkled. But you have to look hard.

Does UL or any others have anything to say on this matter? Even the miltary is synthetic happy.

Matt

celtic

I agree..polyester, rayon, etc become a second skin when exposed to flame/excessive heat. The result can be quite nasty.

I were a lot of (Carhartt) long sleeve button down shirts (not in summer..too hot)..100% cotton. Likewise, all my sweatshirts, pullovers, jackets,t-shirts, polo-type shirts, pants and overalls are all cotton. I actually own very few non-cotton garments.

bphgravity

megloff11x said:
Does UL or any others have anything to say on this matter? Even the miltary is synthetic happy.

Matt

Check out the NFPA 70E on this matter. This wouldn't be a UL issue but rather an OSHA issue. FR clothing should meet ASTM and ANSI standards.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
didn't one of the flight attendant unions sue over this issue, claiming that requiring them to wear poly blend work uniforms created a hazard in the event of a fire on board an aircraft?

noxx

I ran into this issue when I came to a new company last year. They issue long sleeve cottons to welders and "high voltage" electricians, but other maintenance personell and electricians working at <600v are issued poly-blends.

Now I've never in my life been asked to wear synthetics at work, so I made quite a stink (after sitting out my probationary period *cough*) and was issued the cottons. I cited the following OSHA guideline in my argument..

(iii) The employer shall ensure that each employee who is exposed to the hazards of flames or electric arcs does not wear clothing that, when exposed to flames or electric arcs, could increase the extent of injury that would be sustained by the employee.

NOTE: Clothing made from the following types of fabrics, either alone or in blends, is prohibited by this paragraph, unless the employer can demonstrate that the fabric has been treated to withstand the conditions that may be encountered or that the clothing is worn in such a manner as to eliminate the hazard involved: acetate, nylon, polyester, rayon."

It's unsafe to wear poly's while working around energized equipment. We all know it, don't stand for it. (Altho I must admit some evenings I miss the short sleeves.)

steved

I used to wire motorhome battery compartments. The fumes from the battery acid would eat holes in cotton clothing. Polyester lasted quite a bit longer. Is there a material that is both chemical-resistant and non-melting?

wmgeorge

Occupation
Retired
Polyester work clothes

Polyester work clothes

steved said:
I used to wire motorhome battery compartments. The fumes from the battery acid would eat holes in cotton clothing. Polyester lasted quite a bit longer. Is there a material that is both chemical-resistant and non-melting?

Yes, wool. Not very cool but battery acid will not harm. Not sure about the flame, but it won't melt. BG

Minuteman

When my son was in Iraq last year and Afghanistan this year, he had some Under Armour poly long johns. Then the Marine Corps caught on.

CAMP TAQADDUM, IRAQ (April 10, 2006) -- Under direction of Marine Corps commanders in Iraq, wearing synthetic athletic clothing containing polyester and nylon has been prohibited while conducting operations off of forward operating bases and camps.

..."The ban on popular clothing from companies like Under Armour, CoolMax and Nike comes in the wake of concerns that a substantial burn risk is associated with wearing clothing made with these synthetic materials.

When exposed to extreme heat and flames, clothing containing some synthetic materials like polyester will melt and can fuse to the skin. This essentially creates a second skin and can lead to horrific, disfiguring burns, said Navy Capt. Lynn E. Welling, the 1st Marine Logistics Group head surgeon...

http://www.marine-corps-news.com/2006/04/popular_clothing_offlimits_to.htm

Mike03a3

steved said:

Nomex should do it.

(I tried just "Nomex", but my message was rejected as too short!)

DGrant041

My former employer issued all the electricians the same poly uniforms all the operators wore. True, they were able to withstand the chemical exposure much better than cotton but I'm with you. I only wish that I could site a few convincing references then to convince my bosses.

My solution: I NEVER wore the poly uniforms. . .not once! They gave us cotton shirts a couple of times for different occasions (ie safety day, production record. . .) and I wore those whenever the big bosses were coming in. I was second shift so I got away with wearing my own cotton shirts most of the time.

Since then I have seen a few advertisements for safety clothing in NECdigest. Try this link:

www.westexinc.com

If anyone has a favorite brand, I'd like to know it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.