Scared of the INSPECTOR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

selncell

Hi all,

So I am doing an upgrade service from 100A to 200A Single phase-Residence. I have studied my a$$ off using both the NEC (05) and a "helper" book. Have my permit pulled and am a little unsure on a few things.

Let it be known I am not an electrician. While I am paying my dues, I don't dare call myself that...yet!

I have a project at my mom's house, here is where I am at, please feel free to to call me on my ignorrance...still learning:

First the grounding. I have 2 8' foot copper (coated) rods at exactly 6 feet apart. I have a armored 6awe line connecting the 2 rods (I think I need to swap that out with 4awe bare copper...) The topic of direct burial is bugging me. As is, the rods I installed the other day protrude a few inches at most...is this a big deal?
I am planning on running another line from the closer of the two rods, to the actual Neutral buss bar. The distance from the closer of the 2 rods to the new service entrance will be about an 8 foot run. I am still expecting to come well under 25 ohms. Now, I originally was going to put the 2 rods in the earth next to the copper water main going into the house. I got one rod in, but couldn't get the second one in.....the footing was extended after the Northridge earthquakes, and couldn't get it in. So I have one rod going in, and connected to the main water line (no regulator, just a brass ball valve, in case u were wondering:)

So I believe I have to make the connection from the new panel's Neutral buss bar, to the cold copper water line. Can I run an armored 4 awe (or 6) bare copper line from the Neutral buss about 35 feet to the nearest cold copper line? There is a water softener, and I do plan on installing a jumper. Do I need to jump the Hot water as well? I think NEC calls for just the buried cold line (not sure where it was in the book, not in front of me now)

Next, this is a 200A service, Edison already came out and approved the location, and will be shutting PWR (down the street) Friday morning, I will have the inspector coming towards the end of Friday....They do not work on Sat, and Monday is a holiday. There can be no mistakes as to not getting this signed off, so Edison will power me back up.

The Service Entrance:
2" metal conduit carrying 2/0 220 to the house. When I disconnect the existing box and connect the new box, do I need to have a bonded ground-able nut? (not sure if that is the right term, but basically it's a nut that threads on the NMT, and has a spot to secure a ground wire (which goes to the neutral buss bar))

Next, will my inspector pass me, if the stucco repair surrounding the SECURED 200A panel is not finished?

Next, I will need to extend some of the existing Romex and original house wiring to the branch breakers and Neutral buss, can I just use a wire nut and extend the line with the same AWE and type rated wire? Do I have to reroute all the wires that need extending to a junction box, and do the extensions from their? If so, what does code say about location and distance from new panel. The panel will be semi flush on the exterior of the far end of the house. The service is feed from underground, and 95% of house wiring will be fed from the TOP.

Next: The pull cavity, where the 1/O lines come up from and make their connection to the meter lugs, what if I need to extend then a few inches to reach the new meter's lugs? And is there some kind of overcorrect inline fuse at that point? Right now, the 1/O comes into the panel (from the bottom left) and makes a zig zag to the left and right (inside the pull cavity) just as it turns to go up to the 100A meter lugs, there is a bunch of E tape, and the line is down sized to 2awe...maybe it's 4awe. I was wondering if there was some inline fuse there. Don't understand why there would be one, but was wondering.

Next: do the breakers need to be identified before sign off?

Lastly, the existing panel is 4.5" thick. The new one is just over 6.5" thick. I read in the NEC that the panel cannot sit inside the exterior wall any more than 1/4", but it made NO references to how far out it could protrude, given this is a semi flush install. If I flush the panel, I would have to open up the drywall on the opposite side, so the back of the new panel can sit flush, I could simply build out the back of the protrusion in drywall, thus allowing for a cleaner (front side) looking install of the panel.

I know this is a lot, and I am 85% confident on this job being a complete success. Just worried a bit about the inspection.....
Your thoughts and experience is greatly appreciated...thx!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
selncell said:
. . . please feel free to to call me on my ignorance...still learning:
Ignorance is completely forgivable. We have all had a healthy dose of it in our youth, and we discover from time to time that it has not completely gone away.

What is less easy to forgive is an error made by a person who should not have been attempting the work in the first place. If you are "learning," and if you are not (by your own statement) an "electrician," then I can only guess that you are an apprentice (or in the language of my state, an electrical trainee). In your jurisdiction, does that give you the legal right to perform work in a home that is not your own?

Unless you can convince me that you have not violated the rules of your own jurisdiction, by performing electrical installation work beyond the authority granted to you by your license, then I must consider you to be a "Do It Yourselfer." Forum rules prohibit us from assisting a DIY.

So before this discussion is allowed to go any further, I must ask you to send me a Private Message explaining the circumstances. In the mean time, this thread will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.