Sch 40 to Sch 80...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I have a job coming up where the 3/4" Sch 40 PVC is underground. Where it emerges above grade I will be moving over to Sch 80 for about 12". My dilemma, the conduit fill is fine for the Sch 40 but for the Sch 80 is "over filled" by .0092

Do I need to rethink the conduit size needed for the entire run or let it "ride"?

I can live with .0092 myself because I've been in this exact situation before. The next time it comes up I'll use larger conduit.

I'm pulling 3 #6 and 1 #10 for a panel in a Garage. I will be driving ground rod(s) at the Garage.

My solutions:

1. Reduced neutral, use #8. Surely they'll have some 240v load out there. AC/Air Compressor/Heaters/Welder, etc.
2. Pull in a bare #10 and squeek under the fill requirements.
3. Leave it the way it is. If the inspector bocks at it, explain what happened and tell him you'll know to use larger conduit next time. If he still bocks at it, pull the wire out just far enough to just strip the insulation off the ground wire where it passes through the sch. 80 and then reinstall.

Do I get credit for thinking outside the box?:D

Occupation
Inspector
I can live with .0092 myself because I've been in this exact situation before. The next time it comes up I'll use larger conduit.

My solutions:

1. Reduced neutral, use #8. Surely they'll have some 240v load out there. AC/Air Compressor/Heaters/Welder, etc.
2. Pull in a bare #10 and squeek under the fill requirements.
3. Leave it the way it is. If the inspector bocks at it, explain what happened and tell him you'll know to use larger conduit next time. If he still bocks at it, pull the wire out just far enough to just strip the insulation off the ground wire where it passes through the sch. 80 and then reinstall.

Do I get credit for thinking outside the box?:D

You get credit from me on this one just not sure if it will fly, I may have to try.

btharmy

Just tell the inspector you are treating the last 12" of sch. 80 as a nipple that is less that 24" long and thus is not subject do derating. :grin:

Occupation
Inspector
On this one I am asking forgiveness from the Inspector. I should find out either tomorrow or Wednesday if the Inspector will let the short section of Sch 80 "pass".

realolman

Would anyone be happy with sliding a hunk of larger pipe over the whole shebang where it comes out of the ground?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.