Schedule 80 PVC Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

d and o

Is there actual verbiage in the NEC that would support the use of Sched 80 PVC I.L.O. GRC or IMC?

They are mentioned together in 300.05 D, for suitable wiring methods to use where "subject to physical damage"

With this being said, can we assume that sched 80 would be required the same cover requirements of GRC or IMC as listed in 300.05?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Schedule 80 PVC Conduit

The verbage is in the UL listing. It says sch 80 pvc conduit is considered suitable for protection against physical damage when installed on poles. You can find this in the UL white book or on line at the UL web site.
Actually the verbage is in section 110.3(B), as far as the NEC is concerned

wolfman56

For each type of conduit the NEC only indicates where use is allowed, or not.
However depending on the application, you're AHJ, or the local utility, will tell you their requirements. A good example is that many AHJ's require PVC underground instead of RGC, for obvious reasons. My utility requires for the service lateral, Scd 40 or 80, on the horizontal, then Scd. 80 for the riser to the meter. Where I lived in a different state the AHJ required RGC for the riser and didn't care what was 2' underground.

dana1028

Tom - my 'green book' says (re: Sch 80)-
"Sch. 80...is suitable for use wherever Sch. 40 conduit may be used. The marking 'Sch. 80 PVC' identifies conduit suitable for use where exposed to physical damage AND for installation on poles...".

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Wolfman, unless there is a formal amendment the AHJ can not require anything besides the applicable codes. Any one inspector can not make his/her own rules.

The Poco can jurisdict their side of the "cash register". (Charlie's term ;) )

Roger

[ December 02, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

charlie

Table 300.5 lists Column 2 Rigid Metal Conduit or Intermediate Metal Conduit and Column 3 Nonmetallic Raceways Listed for Direct Burial Without Concrete Encasement or Other Approved Raceways. IMHO, Schedule 80 PVC is still PVC and Column 3 applies.

BTW, Roger is correct about our side of the cash registers.

Status
Not open for further replies.