Scheduling issues and what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffee260

Do you have a local bank that you can talk to and get short term loans? I know you should not have to borrow money to pay other people's bills but truth is that it happens all the time. I have a local bank that we deal with and can get short term notes for 30 to 60 days for cash flow problems.

One thing to remember here is that you should try to bump your pay requests up a little so you can have a cash pad to work through times like these.

Why are they making you show paid invoices on materials that they have not paid you for yet? We would simply sign a partial lein release for our payment. Then if we did not pay the bill they would hold money or protect themselves somehow. I betcha money that GC does not pay his supply bills or pay his subs before he gets paid.

As far as the " Get more men on the site NOW !!!" crisis or whatever they are calling it, here are the questions. Are you behind? Can they put you in a spot so you will get behind really quickly? They all want you to dump a ton of manpower on the site and wait for something to happen. Just keep enough men on the job to keep up and make it profitable. We used to work for a GC who demanded things like this. WE worked all the time but never made any real money with him. Now we have learned to deal with the labor issue by recognizing before we reach a bottleneck and giving notice that we are not the reason the project is behind.

Sounds like you are on top of things and want everything to go right. Just hang in there and watch every penny that comes through. Also on a side note, if a GC bounced a check on me then I would demand joint checks from the owner of the project from then on. I don't care how busy they look, rich they are, how much they have coming up and all the other bs. There is absolutely no reason what so ever to bounce a payment check to a sub. You wait until funds will clear or get a bank note for your money.

GOod luck on your project, I hope it turns out safe and profitable on you. Keep us informed on how things are going.

Last edited:

AV ELECTRIC

I wish i had your problems in this economy. It sounds like the first guy has organizational problems money could dry up towards the end but it appears you are getting paid for now. Im with the other guys higher some people even if you have to lay them off pretty soon ime sure they will be happy with some work be honest and let them know it could be a short time position but if you get these other jobs your are bidding they might be able to stay longer

cruzJD

I just read the last post I made and I must have lost my mind when I wrote it.

Dduffee
My money issues were I needed to buy a bunch of stuff on a Monday to put people to work but I would not get paid till Wednesday for the materials form the GC. I had a good bit of my cash sitting in stocking 3 transformers and 9 panels because they changed there mind on what hey wanted done first.

On the second job and the invoices I think he is writing checks and having his runner take them to the supply houses if you owe them too much money and not giving that money to the sub. I don?t want to play games like that.

I was told today that the cable crew would not be done till the week end so I?ll have a huge chunk taken out of the second job by then. I?m just going to flip flop a crew back and forth between the jobs.

I?m not going to hire full someone knowing I will have to lay them off in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.