School Project: 3-way and 4-way switches

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have been tasked with completing a project utilizing 3-way and 4-way switches to lights utilizing both series and parallel circuits.

First switch is 4 way, second is 3 way and where power comes in, third is 4 way, fourth is 3way, 5 and 6 are 4way.
Is the entire batch of lights to be switched as a single group? If so, the switching is easy.

I need more clarification on how the lights should be connected together.

If he's asking for two answers, one with them in series and the other with them in parallel, also easy.

It's difficult to answer a question well without understanding the question well.

ZappNRoger

Occupation
School
OK, I am pretty sure your professor didn't mean to log on here and GET the answer. Most of us tend to step in to teach mode. That said, draw out what you think and then ask for input. Some of us will get in the weeds about parallel vs series and real world applications, but if that is really what he asked for, not that difficult of a distinction. I will start you off with...
At the power source you have one with (the hot) leaving and going to your first switch, the electrons will leave your last switch and go to the first light. Also regardless of how they are physically oriented, electrically the first switch will be a 3 way, the last switch will be a three way and all the ones in between will be four way.

GO!
:)

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpeg
    IMG_1635.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Its not a bad start but something tells me that is the instructors handy work...
Do the switching!!! Just 3 more conductors...

ruxton.stanislaw

Occupation
Laboratory Engineer
I understand you're working on a project with 3-way and 4-way switches to control lights in a circuit with both series and parallel connections, and your professor recommended this resource.

Unfortunately, wiring a circuit with series and parallel connections for multiple lights controlled by 3-way and 4-way switches is not recommended and can be unsafe. Here's why:
  • Safety Hazards: Mixing series and parallel connections in a switch circuit can lead to unpredictable behaviour and potential safety hazards. In series circuits, a single bulb failure can cause all the bulbs to go out. In a situation where a single switch controls multiple bulbs in series, there's a risk of creating a situation where the circuit appears to be off when it's actually still energised due to a bypassed bulb.
  • Complexity: Designing and maintaining a safe and functional circuit with mixed series and parallel connections, while incorporating 3-way and 4-way switch controls, becomes very complex and requires a strong understanding of electrical fundamentals.
Alternative Recommendations:

Here are some alternative approaches that are safer and more practical for your project:
  1. Separate Circuits: Create two independent circuits, one with series connected lights controlled by 3-way and 4-way switches, and another with parallel connected lights controlled by separate 3-way and 4-way switches. This approach allows for independent control and avoids safety concerns.
  2. Parallel Circuit with Multi-Switch Control: Design a circuit with all lights connected in parallel. Utilise 3-way and 4-way switches to provide multi-point control over the entire group of lights. This is a common and safe approach for controlling multiple lights from various locations.
These alternative approaches offer a safer and more achievable way to accomplish your project's goals while demonstrating your understanding of switch controls.

If you'd like help with creating a schematic diagram for either of these alternative approaches, feel free to describe your desired functionality, and I can assist you with the wiring diagram.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Well, I must have done something wrong. My drawing doesn't look anywhere close.
I would hope not.
First comes the try.
In 5yrs maybe the electrons...
Funny.. I see "coaches" do the same method with new racers at the track. They end up in the ambo...
You can only fill a glass of water so much.
Not actually directed at you- sorry tom.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Well, I must have done something wrong. My drawing doesn't look anywhere close.
Mine does not either.
I went series, parallel ,series, parallel,series, parallel
Three series in three parallel.
Therefore alternating.
And of course standard three four way wiring.🤔

Can't wait for the correct ansawer.

kwired

Electron manager
Seems maybe this was a lesson on basics of series and parallel circuits more so than on basic lighting installation?

Or maybe even an attempt at introducing Chicago/California three way concepts to the students? Though those still wouldn't ordinarily put multiple lights in series with one another.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Seems maybe this was a lesson on basics of series and parallel circuits more so than on basic lighting installation?

Or maybe even an attempt at introducing Chicago/California three way concepts to the students? Though those still wouldn't ordinarily put multiple lights in series with one another.
Not a real world situation. I haven’t studied it hard enough to determine the lessons goal. If there was one.

kwired

Electron manager
Not a real world situation. I haven’t studied it hard enough to determine the lessons goal. If there was one.
The series-parallel lesson would be more of a basic electricity lab lesson - also likely would be at low voltages.

If done in the installations lab with 120/240 supply volts, it is not really a real world situation