Sealing distribution panel, raceways and boxes for un-metered conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I am specifying a siemens P5 distribution panel to feed 3 meter banks. This will require to run un-metered conductors to 3 meter banks using pull boxes and raceways.

Con Edison (POCO) says this in their bluebook:

All cabinets, conduit fittings and equipment enclosures containing un-metered conductors shall be made sealable before service will be energized.

I am assuming this rule exist because Con-Edison does not want un-metered conductors to be tampered with.

How do you make the distribution panel, raceways and boxes containing un-metered conductors sealable?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You use screws with a hole in them to attach a seal. That's it. We had a thread on this recently.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
You use screws with a hole in them to attach a seal. That's it. We had a thread on this recently.
Sorry I remember that but I included a twist. I am not sure how this would be done with a distribution panel that has factory given screws. I am not sure if changing screws for the panel is allowed?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see a problem if the local POCO requires a certain type of screw and you change the ones that came with the panel.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I don't see a problem if the local POCO requires a certain type of screw and you change the ones that came with the panel.
And this might be a stupid question... but wouldn't changing the screw to a different screw void UL listing?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
And this might be a stupid question... but wouldn't changing the screw to a different screw void UL listing?
Were talking about a panel cover screw so IMO no. They get changed all of the time. You can also order the panels with the screws in them.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Status
Not open for further replies.