Sealing fittings upside down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

I ran into a sealing fitting in the field that was installed upside down. I couldn't open it to check that it was sealed, but what is the likelihood that it is sealed? Can it be used this way?

Thanks

LJSMITH1

I ran into a sealing fitting in the field that was installed upside down. I couldn't open it to check that it was sealed, but what is the likelihood that it is sealed? Can it be used this way?

Thanks

As in a "Seal-off" hazloc fitting?? If so, I would be very surprised that it was sealed at all. Remove the fill plug and take a look.

justdavemamm

I can't imagine it being properly sealed if it is upside down.

I can, under one circumstance.

We build Skid based systems. Most of the time they are build on their sides so as to fit on a flat bed truck. If someone installed a seal-off while the skid was being built, it could be in the horizontal position as there are seal-offs that are good for vertical and horizontal installation. so 'UP' is really sideways.

Now most of the time we don't pour them and leave that to the company that buys the system as they need to test after install & wire to a remote control system. But I could imagine that some skid builders pour the seals before shipping especially if it's all tested and ready to be put into production.

Oh yeah. Another way: if it were originally a horizontal install and then the device attached to it got moved slightly, so now it points down. As typically we put the seal-off at the end of a XP flex to a XP coupling that is attached to the device. Very easy to have it rotate 90 degrees.

Thanks

Actually you can theoretically install a Crouse-Hinds sealing fitting upside down and fill it with Chico SpeadSeal Compound. You would need to insert a plastic hole-plug into the threaded opening, inject the compound via a hole made into it and leave the injector in place after dispensing the proper amount for about 10 minutes. The compound will be semi-hard by that time, so you can remove the plug and injector and you would have an inspectable seal.

KentAT

Several seal, dam fiber, and compound installation instructions reference the terms "bottom/larger plug", "top", "top hub", "bottom", "bottom hub", etc.

With that said, I would say those terms indicate that a vertical seal has a top and a bottom, and must be installed that way.

Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.