sealing type locknut

Status
Not open for further replies.

danger30

I had an inspector tell me they were not listed for PVC. He would let it "slide" this one time, but in the future I should keep it in mind. According to him they're only rated for rigid metal conduit?? Never heard this before. Wasn't in the mood to argue since he passed the install, but next time..... Any thoughts?

Well It has gaskets on boths sides. If its what I think it is. And would not be bonded or grounded if on pvc. But I never heard of this either. Better check with the manufacturererer(I dont know how to finish that):roll:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The inspector is correct.
Sealing (Liquid-tight) Locknuts — Sealing locknuts are intended for use with threaded rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit with one sealing locknut in the outside or the inside and either an ordinary locknut or sealing locknut on the inside of the enclosure for wet locations or liquid-tight applications. Sealing locknuts may also be used with Listed wet location or liquid-tight fittings where so marked on the fitting carton and used on the inside of the enclosure.
The above is from the UL Guide Information (white book) for Conduit Fittings (DWTT).
For PVC you use a sealing washer. See page 5 (178) of this document.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The UL White Book is a must have for every electrician, the other required book(s) are the manufactures catalogs. When I first started in the trade I read a Sq D catalog and learned a lot about the different circuit breaker accessories.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inspector is correct.
The above is from the UL Guide Information (white book) for Conduit Fittings (DWTT).
For PVC you use a sealing washer. See page 5 (178) of this document.

Sealing (Liquid-tight) Locknuts ? Sealing locknuts are intended for use with threaded rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit with one sealing locknut in the outside or the inside and either an ordinary locknut or sealing locknut on the inside of the enclosure for wet locations or liquid-tight applications. Sealing locknuts may also be used with Listed wet location or liquid-tight fittings where so marked on the fitting carton and used on the inside of the enclosure.

So I'm assuming that this would also apply to the proper EMT fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.