seasoning lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Is there a seasoning time for high pressure sodium bulbs???? How long should you leave them on befor turning them off???

Switching on and off of discharge lamps frequently, reduces their life expectancy.Keeping them on for longer periods of time increases their life expectancy.

iMuse97

Is there a seasoning time for high pressure sodium bulbs???? How long should you leave them on befor turning them off???

For newly installed lamps, I give them an hour, if possible. This also gives me time to ensure that I don't have additional problems with the ballast or capacitor.

iMuse97

I seem to remember that if you don't season them, the ongoing color temperature of the lamps can vary. If it is a street lighting or arena-type lighting situation, this could be important, when many fixtures can be seen at once, and visual uniformity is important.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
A 100 hour seasoning time is usually required before the halides in metal halide lamps are combined well enough for the light color to be consistant. I don't believe a sodium bulb requires a seasoning time. That being said, I also like to burn them for about an hour (if possible)to make sure nothing happens. I have seen the ballast get hot and the windings short out against the iron frame of the ballast in less than 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.