Seatek Roto-Splits

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Anyone buy a Seatek Roto-Split lately ? I bought a new one last week and tried to cut steel BX, but it failed to make the cut through the armor. It did make A cut into the spiral but was not enough to split the armor apart. I know Einstein stated that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is a sign of insanity. But, I did just that several times and got the same result. :) FINALLY I looked closely at the label on the side of the tool and there were 2 settings which stated "std. MC" and "sm MC". Are there any Roto-Splits out there that cut through steel armored cable ?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah Larry, I tried ALL the other settings but same thing and same shallow cut. Now I'm sorry I threw my old one out, even though was malfunctioning from time to time

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Result with other setting?
Yeah Larry, I tried ALL the other settings but same thing and same shallow cut. Now I'm sorry I threw my old one out, even though was malfunctioning from time to time
That setting is just for the size of the cable, large for old MC or small for new smaller MC. It just adjust the clamping for each and maybe (?) let the blade move farther down. I'm not sure if they still make one for the old BX or not.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have had mine for years and works on everything. I can't understand why they would make one for only MC. Maybe the small MC setting? Won't the second one do that size too?

Edit: I think my old one had a blade depth adjustment.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually just cut MC with my pliers, bend and break it one or two spirals short of where I want it to end, and trim with the pliers.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have had mine for years and works on everything. I can't understand why they would make one for only MC. Maybe the small MC setting? Won't the second one do that size too?

Edit: I think my old one had a blade depth adjustment.

-Hal
If you click on the first link I posted and scroll over the photo you'll see a small clip on the center of the tool that shows "std mc" and "sm mc". I tried moving that back and forth but it didn't change the depth of the blade. There is also a red tab inside the pocket where the cable fits in to move the cable out if it's a smaller gauge cable. Tried all options but nothing worked. I'm going to try once m,ore before I take it on the chin for this one and buy the better one.

kwired

Electron manager
My Greenlee version I have had for years has worked on steel armor or even 3/8 steel flex every time I tried it for steel. Blades probably won't last as long on steel as aluminum, but cuts on steel have been somewhat rarely done for me.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm going to try once m,ore before I take it on the chin for this one and buy the better one.

Looks like the "better" one is cheaper too!

My Greenlee version I have had for years has worked on steel armor or even 3/8 steel flex every time I tried it for steel. Blades probably won't last as long on steel as aluminum, but cuts on steel have been somewhat rarely done for me.

Never had a problem with the blade wearing out with steel armor.

I usually just cut MC with my pliers, bend and break it one or two spirals short of where I want it to end, and trim with the pliers.

The manufacturers want you to use the cutter to avoid damage. Actually it's just as fast or faster too. The only downside is it's another tool to carry.

-Hal

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

lordofthisworld

OK. I'm finally getting to the source of the problem. When I ordered a Roto-Split fdrom my supply house this is what they sent me :

• The first bullet point in the description states that it can cut ANY type of armored cable
  • The second bullet point states that it's a perfect tool for any electrician working with MC
Southwire also makes this type of Roto-Split which is probably what I need :

It says it cuts BX, MC and Flex cable. You have to pay for your education !!!
I think Southwire actually bought out Seal-Tek

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, I finally got the tool to cut BX. I generally don't give up on things but I laid the tool aside for a day or so and before I decided to take it back to the supply house I took another close look at it. Directly above that little silver lever on the handle that states STD. MC and SM. MC there is a Allen set screw. That set screw torques down on top of that silver lever. Apparently the tool is set up and shipped out ready to cut MC. I backed off that set screw and the tool now cuts steel BX. Tah Dah :) How a tool can make you feel like a real idiot. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.