Second Guessing Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

sii

I just received a quote for some work in central Florida. It seems off to me but I’d like the group’s opinion before I respond. I’ll omit the price I was quoted for now but I’ll post it if it’s warranted.

Service riser is outdoors on pole mounted strut assembly. It hasn’t been fully explained to me but it seems there is a CT box that feeds three adjacent fused disconnects. Scope is to add a fourth disconnect, go underground about ten feet into the building, then 25 ft up to ceiling, ~160 ft on ceiling then back down to unfused disconnect. EMT for the indoor portion. Circuit size is 150 amps, copper conductors, 480 3 phase, no neutral.

The indoor disconnect was not included in the quote.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
What are you asking for specifically? A competitive quote?

Off the top of my head, $22k at least, and that would be for your area. Could be more depending on obstacles and additional pull points needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I just received a quote for some work in central Florida. It seems off to me but I’d like the group’s opinion before I respond. I’ll omit the price I was quoted for now but I’ll post it if it’s warranted.

Service riser is outdoors on pole mounted strut assembly. It hasn’t been fully explained to me but it seems there is a CT box that feeds three adjacent fused disconnects. Scope is to add a fourth disconnect, go underground about ten feet into the building, then 25 ft up to ceiling, ~160 ft on ceiling then back down to unfused disconnect. EMT for the indoor portion. Circuit size is 150 amps, copper conductors, 480 3 phase, no neutral.

The indoor disconnect was not included in the quote.
I can guarantee with that description of the work you will see 10 different prices that are way off from 10 different contractors.
The scope seems strait forward but there are still too many unanswered questions.
how difficult will the UG be? No pics or locates??
~160’… a little vague.
what type of ceiling? hanging on wood joists, steel bar joists, finished sheet rock ceiling?
What’s in the way on the floor? Wide open spaces.. etc.

I can see why the quote seems high.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I can guarantee with that description of the work you will see 10 different prices that are way off from 10 different contractors.
The scope seems strait forward but there are still too many unanswered questions.
~160’… a little vague.
what type of ceiling? hanging on wood joists, steel bar joists, finished sheet rock ceiling?

Where did the OP say the quote was high? Did I miss something??

sii

~160’… a little vague.

The underground is maybe 12’ from the riser to the building. As far as the inside, the up is unobstructed to the ceiling, steel building with purlins every five feet, what I would call a typical steel frame building with almost nothing in place to obstruct the run. The down is straight down to a strut rack installed on the machine. They will have to build the strut rack. I haven’t been to the site myself but it looks to me from pics like once you’re in the building through the slab it’s 3 90’s and a conduit body in the middle. Floor is cluttered but nothing that can’t be moved.

Brant says $22k which is exactly what I was expecting, add the disconnect and 24 seems right. The quote once the indoor disconnect is added is over 30. I’m not saying it’s high because I don’t know the area, just looking for perspective.

FWIW I didn’t provide that description to the contractor, they have been to the site and looked at the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.