secondary panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

war_angel

i would like to know if i can use a 100 amp panel with 100 amp double breaker as a secondary panel the neutrals connected to neutral bus, and the grounds connected to the ground bus,the cable feedind this panel is a #2aluminum,wire going to a 100 amp branch circuit double breaker in main panel which is 200 amps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
war_angel said:
i would like to know if i can use a 100 amp panel with 100 amp double breaker as a secondary panel the neutrals connected to neutral bus, and the grounds connected to the ground bus,the cable feedind this panel is a #2aluminum,wire going to a 100 amp branch circuit double breaker in main panel which is 200 amps.
Use a 90 amp breaker and you are good to go.

war_angel

secondary panel

barbeer said:
Are there 4 conductors between the 2 panels? and are the neutral and ground bus connected in any way? What are the loads fed from this secondary panel board?
there are 4 condutors between the 2 panels 2 hot 1 neutral 1 ground on the secondary panel the neutrals wire and all the neutrals are connected to one bus and the ground wire and all ground wires are connected to ground.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
war_angel said:
the nec table 310.20 #2 wire takes 106 amps non continous.
That table only applies to messenger supported cable and does not apply to standard installations.

war_angel

secondary or auxilliary panel

secondary or auxilliary panel

war_angel said:
there are 4 condutors between the 2 panels 2 hot, 1 neutral 1 ground on the secondary panel the neutrals wire and all the neutrals are connected to one bus and the ground wire and all ground wires are connected to ground.
the nec code table 310.15 says for 120/241 single phase dwelling services and feeders conductor type xhhw #2 can be used for 100 amp second panel

JohnJ0906

war_angel said:
the nec code table 310.15 says for 120/241 single phase dwelling services and feeders conductor type xhhw #2 can be used for 100 amp second panel

Read the article that this table belongs to. 310.15(B)(6)

iwire

Staff member
brother said:
What was the reason they felt they needed to lower the amps on this type of cable??

To match the requirements of NM when SE is used in place of NM.

7-88 Log #2639 NEC-P07 Final Action: Accept
(338.10(B)(4)(a))

Recommendation: Delete the phrase “excluding 334.80” and change the
comma after “Article 334” to a period.

Substantiation: When Type SE conductors are used for interior wiring, as a
replacement for Type NM cable, the ampacity of the conductors should be the
same as permitted for NM cable since the insulations used are the same both
NM and SE conductors.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept

Panel Statement: This action will modify the action taken on Proposal 7-84.

Number Eligible to Vote: 14

Ballot Results: Affirmative: 14

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
When Type SE conductors are used for interior wiring, as a replacement for Type NM cable, the ampacity of the conductors should be the same as permitted for NM cable since the insulations used are the same both NM and SE conductors.
They should have done it the other way. :roll:

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
They should have done it the other way. :roll:

There were lab tests presented in previous cycles as the substantiation for the 60 C restriction on NM.

I have no doubt we will only see more restrictions, the new rules for conductors in raceways on roofs is one example.

mthead

secondary panel

iwire said:
There were lab tests presented in previous cycles as the substantiation for the 60 C restriction on NM.

I have no doubt we will only see more restrictions, the new rules for conductors in raceways on roofs is one example.

Am I right to assume you're referring to the changes mandated as a result of the increase in photovoltaic system installs in the last few years and all the adventures that they present?

Status
Not open for further replies.