Securing EMT to light fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently came across an odd existing installation and I was curious wether or not it was necessarily a code violation. I've been reading through the 2011 handbook and haven't come across a situation that confirms or denies this fact. The original installers ran the pipe runs directly above medium bay light fixtures and attached the conduit to a box connected to the fixture through means of a chase nipple. And the conduit was strapped within the three foot rule through use of mini straps mounted to holes on either side of the fixture. They dropped 1/4 inch all-thread down to support the conduit within the span from the fixture and the trusses if it ever exceeded the ten foot strapping rule and also strapped the run of EMT to each beam for added rigidity... It seems to be a solid installation. Any comments, code references ,thoughts or information anyone might feel they could share would be helpful.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It sounds ok to me but I may be missing something in the translation. As far as trying to apply the 2011, it may or may not help you, you would need to know when this work was performed and what code cycle was in effect for the correct place to look.

Roger

rlc3854

How is the fixture and box supported? If by the conduit the strapping would be within 18 inches both sides of the box/enclosure. (314.23)

The light is supported by jack chain and the fixture supports the pipe as it enters and exits either side of the junction box. The pipe is not supporting the fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.