Securing EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector 102

Article 358.30 states that EMT shall be supportted every 3 feet. If the distance between a junction box is 30 inches, to a receptacle box, both screwed to a 6x6 framing member, is an additional strap required in between the boxes. This is a vertical run up the framing member.

charlie

Re: Securing EMT

Actually it is every 10 ft or 3 meters and within 3 ft of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I would argue that if it's less than 3' than it does not need support.

physis

This is a good question. One that I haven't been able to decide by myself.

I think you might logically be able to say that the connector on either end of a 30" conduit is the fastening means for the opposite end.

But then I don't want any trouble so if it's long enough I'll bend it so it can be fastened.

hess

well if a connector is classified as a securement,why do you need a strap within 3 feet of a box,why not go 10 feet from the box to the next strap.

charlie

My feeling towards this subject is that within means just that. If you have two boxes within 3 ft of each other, then the EMT is supported within 3 ft of either end by virtue of the connector on the other end. More than 3 ft and less than 6 ft is up to the AHJ. Over 6 ft is required to have a strap.

That is the way I would enforce it if I were the AHJ. The 3 to 6 ft would be up to the installer. If the run were located in such a manner that the run was not subject to getting kicked and was secure, I would pass it without a strap. If the run was not solid, I would turn it down. Since I am no longer an AHJ, it is a moot point how I would enforce the rule. :D

sandsnow

Originally posted by ryan_618:
The code doesn't address unsupported raceways, so technically additional support would be required. I would never ask for it persoanlly though :)
If malicious prosecuton is enforcing what is not in the code, then what is it called when you don't enforce the code? Wrote that to razz Ryan about his post in this thread thread

If a raceway is 30 inches between boxes then a strap is needed. No interpretaion necessary, just because the raceway is less than 3 feet doesn't make any difference.

I like Sam's take if were talking reality enforcement. If you can bend it, then strap it. I do like Ryan's proposal.

pierre

Sometimes we need to just take a quick peek back in our memories.
Depending on where this installation may occur can make a difference of whether or not stapping may be necessary.
If there are possibilities that someone may hang things from this conduit, I would say that it may be necessary.
Today I did a ceiling inspection for the electrical contractor. The data installer used the conduit between the different boxes as his means of support. This can happen with any situation, so this may change one's perspective.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Pierre, I see your point but what would be more secure two boxes 3' apart with your data wire hanging across the EMT or EMT with support 10' feet apart, with a coupling at 5' and all of your data wire resting on the coupling?

physis

I'd be more worried about the 10' between straps than the 30" between boxes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

charlie,
If you have two boxes within 3 ft of each other, then the EMT is supported within 3 ft of either end by virtue of the connector on the other end.
If the connector is a support, then why is a support needed within 3' of a box? I think that the current wording of the code clearly requires a support, other than the connectors, for this 30" conduit. Note, that I don't see a physical reason for this support, just a code requirement.
Look at the new wording in 320.30(D)(3).
... For the purposes of this section, Type AC cable fittings shall be permitted as a means of cable support.
To me this new wording strongly implies that, in general, conduit and cable connectors are not a means of support for the conduit or cable.
Don

physis

I look at it like this Don.

Securing within 3' of the terminatiion is in addition to the connector. In other words, You need the termination and securing withing 3'.

With the 30" example you have both the termination and the securing within 30", if you can count the opposite connector as a securing means.

inspector 102

It appears that this is one of those issue that no one has a common opinion on. (I don't think I have ever seen everyone agree on an issue). I understand the responces and IMO I will require and additional strap between the boxes. The main reason is because of the use of the building. This is in a livestock shelter at the local fair grounds, and since the users will probably try to hang what ever they can from the conduits, additional securing devices will be expected. Thanks for all the comments.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

posted May 18, 2005 08:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It appears that this is one of those issue that no one has a common opinion on. (I don't think I have ever seen everyone agree on an issue). I understand the responces and IMO I will require and additional strap between the boxes. The main reason is because of the use of the building. This is in a livestock shelter at the local fair grounds, and since the users will probably try to hang what ever they can from the conduits, additional securing devices will be expected. Thanks for all the comments.
So given the situation you've described would you also require the supports to be less than 10' apart as well?

inspector 102

On the horizontal runs along the ceiling, the conduits are straped every 5 feet on the truss assembly. The height of the ceiling would make it difficult to hang articles from the conduit. The vertical drops are within easy access of the floor level and my fear is that they will be used as clothes racks for the people using the building. I do not want to make up any rules, however using the rules to ensure every effort has been made to eliminate future damage is the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.