Securing EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Securing EMT

To me when it says:

Each EMT run between termination points shall be securely fastened within 3 feet of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination.

It says within 3'. It does not say, if conduit is under 36", no strap is required

jwelectric

I will never run EMT again. If I can?t run a cable I just won?t run nothing.

At least with a cable I can wrap a couple of times with duck tape and be done.

You all have gave me a complex and I will need counseling to help me get back on track.

By the way, what if it wasn?t 3 foot between boxes? What if it was only 36 inches?
:D :D :D

celtic

Originally posted by jwelectric:

By the way, what if it wasn?t 3 foot between boxes? What if it was only 36 inches?
Then we would have to fire you...3' is 36"
banana.gif

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

If there are possibilities that someone may hang things from this conduit, I would say that it may be necessary.
Today I did a ceiling inspection for the electrical contractor. The data installer used the conduit between the different boxes as his means of support.

And I hope you red tagged him for a violation of 800.51(E). Conduits are not supposed to be used as a means of support for something else.

-Hal

celtic

Well could I get by if it was 3 inches short of a meter?

No.
1 meter = 39.3700787 inch
39.37 - 3 = 36.37. Just a bit too long, sorry try again.
358.30(A) Says " ...within 900 mm.." anyway...LOL

[ June 24, 2005, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: celtic ]

allenwayne

All this could be used as or might be used for is ridiculous.As an inspector you have the obligation to inspect the installation an what is there and not what it night be used at a later date !!!!!
I had an inspector that wanted to fail a final because the trim guy used a straight 1/2 carflex connector and since the nm was about 18 in above the water heater he made a nice neat radius and zip tied the carflex to the cpvc,but the inspector says someone can use that as a clothes hanger and damage it.
I went to my truck and quickly made a sign NOT TO BE USED AS A CLOTHES HANGER AND ZIP TIED IT TO THE CARFLEX :D He chuckled and went on and passed the final :D On a comical note not to long ago we recieved a warranty call every time the phone rings the gdo opens or closes :confused: I saw an on Q system in the laundry room so we didn`t do the lv in this house the warranty guy asked me to please take a look anyway,so I did.The lv company missed a phone drop in the laundry room so they tapped into what they thought was a phone line and brought it back to the punch board added a phone below the onQ box and went on thier way.
What they did was tie into the gdo push button and everytime the phone rang the gdo operated,I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.I cut and wire nutted the tap off from the gdo and went on my way.
Phone lines can be as dangerous as line voltage why are they not regulated as we must be :confused: I have seen verizon sink a ground rod and go from their d mark to the service ground wire,I have seen where they cut the #4 low and split bolted to it and burried it,the best is when there are 5 cat 5 hr`s to the d mark and only 2 are hooked up.We get the service call and have to hook up the ones they were to lazy to hook up.
Thats like not hooking up h/r`s in a panel because we don`t feel like doing that today
excuse me while I go take anotyher xanex to calm down

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen, do you know how to put spaces in your posts? It would be much easier for those reading your posts if you would put some spaces between sentences and breaks between paragraphs.

With that said, what did you just try to convey? :) :( :D :p :cool:

"EDIT" I just noticed I was allowed some more smileys :cool:

Roger

[ June 24, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

allenwayne

Originally posted by roger:
Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by roger:
Allen, do you know how to put spaces in your posts?
He knows how. :coo
The FL AHJ does not allow spaces or more than one paragraph per post. :D
Ohhhh, I did not know that. :D

Roger
Roger that will probaly be the new rule of the day this coming week :D I would like to see you work down here for 1 year and all that sarcasm would turn to anger after 3 different inspectors gave you 3 differrent interpitations in RE: to the same thing.
It`s like they get together and think of things to red tag for,the latest is the panel edges,for years it was ok to run 2 2x4`s along side the panel and they were dry walled to the ceiling.Now it`s what about the bottom 0f the panel
:roll: without a 2 x4 under the bottom and no drywall someone can stick a wire in there :mad: Same goes for golf cartchargers,120 volt air compessors ,irrigation receptacles
Our service dept.has enough to do rather than reset gfdci deices and are asked who`s goEng to pay for all this spoiled FOOD.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by allenwayne:
I would like to see you work down here for 1 year and all that sarcasm would turn to anger after 3 different inspectors gave you 3 differrent interpitations in RE: to the same thing.
No doubt about that, I would be flipping out.

We have fairly consistent enforcement here in MA.

Originally posted by allenwayne: Our service dept.has enough to do rather than reset gfdci deices and are asked who`s goEng to pay for all this spoiled FOOD.
Don't even consider paying for the food.

1)You are following the code.

2)Tell the customer to go after the manufacture.

It may interest you to know that under the 2002 NEC every 15 or 20 amp 120 volt outlet in commercial kitchens must be GFCI protected, there are no exceptions.

The manufactures of kitchen equipment are going to have to make refrigerators and freezers run fine on GFCIs.

Also starting in 2005 all vending machines, including refrigerated ones must be GFCI protected.

There is no technical reason a refrigerator can not run on a GFCI.

[ June 25, 2005, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen, do you read other posts at all? I worked in FL while you were still in NY.

I didn't have the problems you keep talking about though, maybe they just know you will let them get away with it.

As Bob points out, if you are wiring per the NEC, let these dissatisfied owners take it up with some one else or move back to where they came from where all is rosy. :D

Roger

jwelectric

Not trying to go off on a tangent here but the last three post has me thinking. Both Roger and Bob seem to be well versed on the NEC although I disagree with them from time to time. Of course the CM Personnel disagree at each and every meeting.

Allen Wayne has made the statement that the code officials in the Great state of Florida have different views of the code and one will turn down what the other one said do.

When I disagree with what the inspector has turned down I will take my copy of the NEC and ask him to show me so I won?t make the same mistake again. If he can?t show me then I proceed with my work.

When a code enforcement official tells me he don?t have his copy of the code book with him I hand him mine. As he is looking up the section I go on to say I sure would hate to go the doctor and find out he didn?t have his tools with him.

The moral of this is, if you are turned down and don?t understand why it is your own damn fault.

Did I use the enter key enough?
:D :D :D ;)

[ June 25, 2005, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

iwire

Staff member

Both Roger and Bob seem to be well versed on the NEC although I disagree with them from time to time.
I have no idea what you mean, I always agree with everything posted. :D

And Roger, heck he is just a yes man. :D :D :D :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

JW, yeah! what Bob said. :D

And I agree, you did an excellent job with the space and enter key. (hint: that's how you do it Allen) ;)

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by iwire:
Did I use the enter key enough?
:D :D :D :D
Then Bob hits the "Add Reply" button, blissfully unaware of his typo. :D

Allen's come a long way. He just hasn't realize we all hit the return key twice when we start a new thought. :D

[ June 25, 2005, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Then Bob hits the "Add Reply" button, blissfully unaware of his typo. :D
Blissfully unaware?

I prefer Comfortably Numb. ;)

[ June 25, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

jimwalker

Allen ,tell them to send the bill for lost food to the inspector that forced you to install a gfci where it was not required.Also include the bill for changing it back to a single non gfci receptacle.Not saying it will get paid but 8 on your side might take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.