Security Camera Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am looking into security cameras for my home. I have done a few wired systems, coax and Cat 5e for industrial locations.
For home use, there are wireless and wired. Any recommendations?
I have installed a lot of Ademco/Honeywell Vista panels, they use a very old fashioned programming interface. The newer systems tend to be connected into your ethernet network, and use a web browser and smart phone to view.
And also some systems can integrate with your HVAC, door locks, andmore. Any recommendations on a system?
Thanks

nhfire77

I am looking into security cameras for my home. I have done a few wired systems, coax and Cat 5e for industrial locations.
For home use, there are wireless and wired. Any recommendations?
I have installed a lot of Ademco/Honeywell Vista panels, they use a very old fashioned programming interface. The newer systems tend to be connected into your ethernet network, and use a web browser and smart phone to view.
And also some systems can integrate with your HVAC, door locks, andmore. Any recommendations on a system?
Thanks

Most systems that incorporate all of those systems require you to be a dealer of the product through a central station. If you have a local security dealer, it would be worth your while to maybe work out a trade for the materials and then you'll pay for the service monthly. My preference is Honeywell/Vista- the newest model is 21IP- it has an IP and GSM option communicator and has a unified security, home automation and video platform.

You can get each one of those separately on your own. Homewell has a DIY wifi t-stat. So does lowes. Resi door locks go with Schlage (Kwikset is a decent 2nd, the newest versions). If you are heck bent on DIY, Blue Iris is supposedly decent video management software, also look a dropcam.

If you find a DIY integration platform - There would be a central controller, usually based off ZigBee or Z-Wave protocols. I use security systems to control and integrate Z-wave devices.

nhfire77

In regards to wired vs. wireless-

Wifi=. 'lifestyle enhancement' cameras, a couple days recorded
(ooh look the kids are home or ooh look the dog peed on the floor!)

Wired= security cameras, 2-4+ weeks of recorded video
(These too enhance your lifestyle, but also could be used to catch someone in the act or used to prosecute)

Wireless cameras, unless a dedicated point to point system, is too unreliable for security.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've setup hardwired PoE (power over internet) cameras around the customers house. If you have a method to store the video locally (using a 3-Terabyte NAS in a secure location) then all you need is the cameras, a PoE injector to provide the camera power, some CAT5 or CAT6 cable, RJ45 connectors and some software like Blue Iris. You can look at the software here:

http://blueirissoftware.com/

dfmischler

Occupation
Facilities Manager
A linux box running ZoneMinder (free software) will do fine for a home or small business. I'm not saying this is better than other available software; it's just another very low cost option. Must insist on wired cameras, whether analog or POE. Many options are out there for very low cost, especially if you are technically savvy enough to install and integrate it yourself. Note that multi-megapixel high frame rate cameras sound really attractive until you start realizing how much storage you need to save all that video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.