SECURITY SYSTEM WIRING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctroyp

I have no experience in installing security system was curious if someone could give me somewhat of a summary on what is a common (hardwired) system to use, what size and type of cabling goes to each device (door/window magnets, glass breakage sensors, panic buttons, motions, etc.) This system will be for a 1700 sq.ft. ranch house. Is there a place to buy them on the internet?

rickcham

Re: SECURITY SYSTEM WIRING?

Cy

Best advice is to first check your state for a license requirement for security systems if this is for a job not for your own property. Most of the areas have a license requirement for systems that are hardwired and will be monitored by a call station (security company). As far as equipment look to google and search there a several suppliers of the equipment on the net.
good luck

ctroyp

It is actually for a relatives house--no charge of course. I don't have a problem finding a brand to use, I am just hoping to find a common brand that is used or preffered by someone that does this everyday.

G

Try this:
http://www.allashers.com
Ask for Bob Lasher.
They sell alarm stuff and are DIY friendly.
Bob Lasher is Al Lasher's son. It's a full service electronics shop and they sell a lot of DIY alarm equipment.

pwhite

ctroyp,

i strongly urge you not to install any security system for anyone. there are new rules and regulations that are strict as well as the liability aspect.

in tennessee, you must go through an apprentice program with someone licensed and bonded by the state before even being able to go out on your own. you also must also go through a security backgroung check.

even if this is your house you are installing the system in, you are not allowed to dial 911 - this is a security alarm. you must contract with a monitoring company and they must call the authorities. (most counties require this)

add to this the fact that there are test parameters that must be met in order for the system to work.

if you are still going to install the system, the william b allen company sells alarm systems, radio shack, home depot & lowes if i am not mistaken, and others.

i hope this helps.

[ September 17, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: pwhite ]

ctroyp

pwhite:
Thanks for the info., I am unsure of the type regulations here in Kentucky. I am still researching though. I am in the beginnings of my electrical contracting experience and want to in the future be able to provide security systems as well and will acquire the needed training and certifications.

If anyone has any knowledge as to these requirements in KY I would appreciate what you have to offer.

Thanks for the help...

jrdsg

pwhite is right about liability, licensing, etc.

not to beat a dead horse, but...

fire alarms, nurse calls, and security systems are not like other consumer products. while they are not that challenging technically, they do draw the installer into a deep deep deep liability situation. when your tv doesn't work it might be annoying, but so what. when a security or fire system is either inadequately designed or fails to perform something much more serious may ensue.

quite beyond the strictly technical elements of alarm installation, the security/life-safety planning elements are a trade of their own.

Rather you can find the equipment or not the wiring is easy to run and the devices aren't difficult to install either But we have several guys who rough in the systems but theres only 2 of us who can program em you have to know the terminology to even know what they are asking I'm sure there has to be a national outfit in your area that can do a system for less then you could be the gear

Status
Not open for further replies.