Segregating Neutrals & Commons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it required that Neutral (White wires) and Common (Bare Copper wires)be segregated or separated, to an individual bus bar? On a normal GE or Westinghouse or Home D 200 amp breaker box, there are [2] grounding bus bars. The last one I purchased, I was told that it is now a requirement to land all Neutral wires on one bus bar, and all common on the other bus bar.

Thank You In Advance
Harry

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: Segregating Neutrals & Commons

If this is service equipment, the two bars will be connected together and bonded to the enclosure and to the grounded service conductor. It does not matter which is used for the neutral conductors or the grounding conductors. They can be mixed on each bar. Unless the panel is listed otherwise, one conductor per terminal. :cool:

ryan_618

And if it is not service equipment, 250.24 applies, requiring that the grounded conductor be separted from the equipment grounding conductor.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

The last one I purchased, I was told that it is now a requirement to land all Neutral wires on one bus bar, and all common on the other bus bar.

You didn't happen to buy it from Home Despot did you?

monkey

Speaking of Home depot I heard the guy tell a customer that the new code will no longer allow any 14 guauge wire in residences. And have you noticed their Square D meter pack kit comes with one 2 pole 30A and the rest are all 20A? I guess this is so the homeowner can "upgrade" all his 15A circuits.

jro

There are many cities that don't allow 14/2 wg romex in residential wiring, so what gives, what is the reasoning behind this :eek:

I bought the last box at Menards and before that at Lowes. It is a residential box, 200 amp.
It sounds as if I need to begin seperating Neutrals & Commons..Is that the general consensus?

I really appreciate the timely responses !!!

Harry

iwire

Staff member

If this panel is the main panel the neutrals and grounds can be separate or together, but must be electrically connected by a bonding jumper.

If this is a panel down line from the main panel the neutrals and grounds must be separate.

I will say your use of the term "commons" for the equipment grounding conductors makes me wonder if you are in over your head.

Please have this work done, or at least checked by a pro before turning it on.

It is easy to make things work the hard part of this trade is to do it safely.

[ November 14, 2003, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

My appologies if terminology has thrown folks off.
This is the main panel {Home 'D' 200 amp breaker box}for a 1400 square foot home, that is fed from the outside meter base.
As far as being in over my head, I am very comfortable with my skills, and have been since 1969. I am always concerned about safety. Whenever I have a question, I consult a friend of mine, who is an Electrical Engineer, a Rose Hulman Graduate. In fact, he suggested I consult this group for their perspective. He indicated that from his vantage point, I could either separate my "Neutrals" & "Grounds" or use the same buss bar. He felt that with all the solid-state circuitry in homes today and in the future though, it may be best to separate them.
The knowledge base of this forum is very impressive, and I thank everyone that has taken the time to respond, from either a mechanical or safety perspective.

Harry

charlie

Whenever I have a question, I consult a friend of mine, who is an Electrical Engineer, a Rose Hulman Graduate.
Harry, I hate to burst your bubble but a Rose Hulman Graduate is not necessarily an electrician nor are they required to even be familiar with the NEC. An experienced and knowledgeable electrician is who you need to be consulting with, not an engineer.

I am wondering what kind of an inspector you are? I am assuming you are a home inspector.

No bubble to burst!! My friend the Rose Graduate does indeed let me know he is not an electrician. {Good observation on your part}I just bounce ideas and plans off him, and since he deals with so many electricians, he is able to keep a pause on the electrical industry and trends and provide me with feedback. I myself have been wiring and re-wiring homes since the late 60's, early 70's. I applied for an electricians license with the local municipality, and was informed that unless I had 2 years full time in the trade, and had documentation from an employer to prove that, along with a 4 hour oral / written exam, they would not issue me a license without my being in the IBEW. My profession is an Environmental Technician. I do however maintain a side business, which includes installing new electrical service entrances to homes, and perform home inspections.
Most of the homes I inspect are very old, and I have to document a lot of "Knob & Tube" concerns. I do inspect many newer homes, and depending upon the electrician ( I know and have worked with many of them), I have observed many different styles of wiring, and this was one factor that led me to my original question.
Note: I DO NOT provide electrician services for my Home Inspection Clients, as this would constitute a conflict of interest. I refer them to one of several electrical contractors in the area.
I try to keep up with the latest in the electrical fields, and get Mike Holts newsletters that are very informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.