Self Feed Drill Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What brand/kind of self feed drill bits do you prefer for joist & stud drills, such as Dewalt's DWD460 or Milwaukee's Hole Hawg?

Benton

I have Dewalt and of course it works good. I just bought a craftsman set of paddle bits that are self feed and they look like they will do the job-haven't used them yet.

renosteinke

"Self feed" is a brand name for a Forstener-like hole cutter. Not to be confused with self-feeding auger bits.

IF you mean the large-diameter, flat-faced bits with the short shanks .... I wouldn't worry about the brand. I WOULD get the Milwaukee 7/16" hex chuck impact driver. Say goodbye to fighting all that torque with your wrist! Retire the hole hog.

If you mean auger bits, I was quite happy with Magna- though those too have been replaced by a different type of bit. Instead of the usual nail-eaters, I use Irwin Speed-Bor Plus bits in my 'normal' 1/4" hex chuck impace driver. These bits have a screw point like an auger, cutting faces like a spade bit, and three hyge spiral flutes- all mounted to a 1/4" hex shank. They come as large as 1-3/8". I have never broken one, bent one, or had a sore wrist; impact drivers rule! The one thing they will not do is cut nails; hit a nail and they just stop drilling, spinning freely in the hole.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I don't see much difference between Greenlee, Irwin, Ideal & Milwaukee. They all do well. When I get a new one, I try to keep it in the sleeve as much as I can. Keeping that tip from banging up goes a long way. A dull point or chipped tooth make it harder going.

Teaspoon

I don't see much difference between Greenlee, Irwin, Ideal & Milwaukee. They all do well. When I get a new one, I try to keep it in the sleeve as much as I can. Keeping that tip from banging up goes a long way. A dull point or chipped tooth make it harder going.

I like the Greenlee Nail eater.
Holds up the best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.