Self Grounding Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

The whole reason for self grounding devices when mounting in a flush type box is to make sure the grounding path is not broken, a surface mounted box will have yoke to box contact when one of the retainer washers is removed, but this can not be guaranteed on a flush mounted box, as far as the UL listing being violated if longer screws are used? well I think you would have another violation if your needing longer screws like 314.20 (2002)

And as far as I can remember the screws that connects a mud ring to the 1900 box is listed for bonding between the mud ring and box, we went through this a while back with a couple of our inspectors saying we had to bond around every mud ring, but they lost that one.

kwired

Electron manager
The mud ring is required to be bonded and if the mounting screws are not capable of doing this then they would most likely install some method to do it on the mud rings. See 250.110

Same screws also bond a blank cover when it is used, an extension ring, or a raised cover although there are additional requirements in 2008 code related to raised covers. See 250.146(A)

DBrede

Thanks for all the great feed-back, i discuss this topic with most electricians i encounter and it seems that it's almost 50-50 split decision on whether you can use them, all i know for sure is that they are teaching inspectors in new jersey that you can't use them and unfortunately for the contractor, that's all it takes for them to get their way, they usually use the classic line of "that's not the way i interpret it", ha, bologna

Status
Not open for further replies.