Sensor for C1D2 environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielW

Hello. I'm forced to use this sensor in a C1D2 Environment. It has no listing at all - datasheet tells me that it's for ATEX Ex II 2G EEx d IIB + H2 T3 environment.
Is it possible to use this in C1D2? It runs at 24 V, max. <500 mA - nonincendive circuit? Or does 501.115(B)(3) apply?

Thanks!

Daniel

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello. I'm forced to use this sensor in a C1D2 Environment. It has no listing at all - datasheet tells me that it's for ATEX Ex II 2G EEx d IIB + H2 T3 environment.
Is it possible to use this in C1D2? It runs at 24 V, max. <500 mA - nonincendive circuit? Or does 501.115(B)(3) apply?

Thanks!

Daniel

what code version are you referring to? In 2011 501.115(B)(3) talks about fuses.

ATEX is not used in the US so is not suitable for any classified area.

Some such devices have FM testing for use with IS barriers that would allow their use in a classified area in the US. The manufacturer can tell you is this is the case.

if not, you may have to find some kind of alternate solution

One option might be to run a sample line out of the classified area and install the sensor in an unclassified area.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Thanks!

Daniel
I suspect the OP meant 501.105(B)(3), [Without Make-or-Break Contacts].

This brings up one of the more unique differences between Division and conventional Zone (not US) concepts. Under NEC "Divisions", except for luminaires, where "General Purpose" equipment is permitted to be used, no special marking beyond its "ordinary use" is required for classified locations. [Section 500.8(C)(6)] Under IEC/CENELEC "Zones" almost everything must be specifically marked for a classified location application; i.e. there is very little "General Purpose" material/equipment acceptable in IEC "Zones". (This is actually where ATEX came in, in the EU)

petersonra is right that ATEX means nothing in US/NEC domestic installations - unless a knowledgeable AHJ understands the markings and determines that the product is suitable under Sections 500.8(A)(3) [manufacturer's evaluation] and 501.105 (B)(3) as an acceptable GP product. While I personally would have no problems with the product for the application, I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

That said, getting the product evaluated by one of the European associates of UL/FM/INTERTEK etc., and listed/labeled by their US counterpart may be less expensive than expected. I have done this before.

DanielW

Thanks for your replies. Yes I meant 501.105(B)(3) and I'm aware of the fact that ATEX counts nothing in the US :)

So it's more like the lottery getting this sensor accepted in C1D2 by a AHJ, right?
All other electronics are housed in a purged enclosure. Do you think that putting the sensor into that enclosure (...while taking a deep look into NFPA 496 Chapter 8) or in a seperate purged enclosure might help?

Daniel

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks for your replies. Yes I meant 501.105(B)(3) and I'm aware of the fact that ATEX counts nothing in the US :)

So it's more like the lottery getting this sensor accepted in C1D2 by a AHJ, right?
All other electronics are housed in a purged enclosure. Do you think that putting the sensor into that enclosure (...while taking a deep look into NFPA 496 Chapter 8) or in a seperate purged enclosure might help?

Daniel

I think Bob Alexander made a better point than I did. I implied, while not meaning to, that if it is labeled as ATEX that it can't be used here in a classified area. As he pointed out, that is not necessarily true. While ATEX does not mean anything here, it does not mean that equipment that has ATEX labeling on it can't be used under the general purpose equipment rule.

For instance, nothing prevents you from using it in an unclassified area, just like any other GP equipment. If it meets the GP requirements found in 501, than it can be used in a C1D2 area just like other qualifying GP equipment.

I have always found this part of the classified area rules rather confusing. Some things are listed as specifically suitable for use in C1D2 areas (apparently under the nonincendive rules) and I think that has made people think anything that goes into a C1D2 area has to be listed for it.

Maybe Bob would be willing to comment on how that situation came to be. He likely has some insight into it that the rest of us don't.

Personally, I don't do much in the way of work in classified areas anymore.

Last edited:

DanielW

Ok, got it. But how could we evidence that the GP clause applies? The measuring principle of thermal conductivity cells is always without make-or-break contacts. What we have is the manual, the datasheet and a certificate by Intertek that the sensor meets ATEX. Do you guys think that is might be sufficient?

Let's come back to nonincendive circuits again. While the control unit of the sensor is running at 24 V, <500 mA, the power between the control unit and the sensor is actually limited to 12 V, max. 30 mA (according to the manufacturer). The control unit is housed in the purged enclosure. I had a quick look at ISA 12.12.01-2007 and in my understanding the sensors values for Voltage, Current, etc. need to be below the Limits of the figures 1-8. Or are there other requests for e.g. for the control unit or the power supply? Do they have to be especially marked as being suitable for nonincendive circuits?

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.