separate buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfo55

This property has two separate buildings. A motel & a bait shop. The service drop will be at the motel in the back of the building. 2 meter sockets & 2 disconnects. One meter socket & disconnect for each building. It is not practical to run the wires around the building for the bait shop. Can these wires run through the motel building, under the parking lot to the bait shop. Are these conductors concidered service conductors or feeders to the bait shop.

bmac71

It is not practical to run the wires around the building for the bait shop.

Is there a reason these cannot be run around the building or the service for the bait shop relocated?

I am going to play devil's advocate for a minute. If these building's/property ever get seperated/divided to two different owners then it will not be practical for the bait shop service be run thru the motel. This could cause issues in itself. I would look for a alternative to running thru one to the other. Just my opinion.

allenwayne

Since you are paying for two seperate meters there should not be an issue of one drop for one building and another for the second building.There might be a pole charge for the second service but it would be alot less than running conduit thru or around and underground to the second building.

I just redid my service on my property there was one meter for my home and my garage/office.I had a 200 amp for both but it was maxed out.I could have gone with one meter 400 amp and refed my garage/office with a seperate 200 amp branch circuit.But when i did the math it was cheaper to pay the pole charge and have 2 seperate meters.

Bea

From the fused service disconnect the conductors to the bait shop are feeder conductors they could pass thru the hotel considering the service disconnect is located on the hotel providing a means to disconnect the conductors that pass thru that structure. I think you could create problems if buildings could be sold seperately in the future maybe not a good idea.

jtester

garfo55 said:
This property has two separate buildings. A motel & a bait shop. The service drop will be at the motel in the back of the building. 2 meter sockets & 2 disconnects. One meter socket & disconnect for each building. It is not practical to run the wires around the building for the bait shop. Can these wires run through the motel building, under the parking lot to the bait shop. Are these conductors concidered service conductors or feeders to the bait shop.

Bea is correct, you may do it according to the NEC.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.