Separate electric bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

bth0mas20

I have a customer that would like to have the basement apartment on a separate electric bill. The house currently has a 350 amp double lug meterbase that has 2 panels on other side of wall. The breakers for the apartment are mixed between the two panels so I will need to move them to a new panel.

Is it possible to install a second meter on the existing power company service?

My thoughts are that the service will need to be upgraded to a 450 amp or larger.
I recommended to her that I could move the apartment circuits to a sub panel that is metered and she can just read it once a month then deduct it from her bill.

Any other suggestions?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I think the problem here would be getting around 230.3, unless you can make (B)(1) work. that is, unless the basement apartment is legal with a fire rated seperation as per the definition of "building".

Your recommendation of buying your own meter and meter base and installing it on the feeder going to the basement apartment would be the easiest IMO.

maghazadeh

I have a customer that would like to have the basement apartment on a separate electric bill. The house currently has a 350 amp double lug meterbase that has 2 panels on other side of wall. The breakers for the apartment are mixed between the two panels so I will need to move them to a new panel.

Is it possible to install a second meter on the existing power company service?

My thoughts are that the service will need to be upgraded to a 450 amp or larger.
I recommended to her that I could move the apartment circuits to a sub panel that is metered and she can just read it once a month then deduct it from her bill.

Any other suggestions?

Why do you think you need the up-grade to 450A? Have you done a load calculation?
From reading your post, it seems to me basement load is already on the existing service.
What do you mean by double lug meterbase? do you mean there is two existing meters?
I never heard of 350Amp rated meter enclosure unless there is a main breaker rated at 350A.
If you have a modular meter/main elect. service, then most likely it has provisions to add another meter/main section either to the right or to the left side of existing enclosure.
Please post more info. Even a picture could be helpful.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...Is it possible to install a second meter on the existing power company service?
Sure it's possible... as long as the POCO will oblige and owner covers the cost of revision.

...and it may be fine at 350A. The only way to know for certain is by doing the Article 220 load calculations.

That would be the least costly for the owner, but opens the door for disagreement and challenge by tenant.

kwired

Electron manager
If the installation is code compliant now, all that you likely need to do is replace current single meter with a duplex meter.

Whether or not the apartment is legally allowed or if an addtitional meter is allowed is not an NEC issue.

You could have a separate meter for every branch circuit if you wish. I,m sure POCO would love to have minimum fees for every one of those meters every month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.