Separate Switchboard Sections for Essentrial Electrical System in a Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I have a hospital project and I was wondering if NEC 700.10(B)(5) about separate switchboard sections for the different emergency branches also applies to hospital Life safety, Critical, and Equipment Branches under articles NEC 517.32,33,34. In an emergency switchboard would the life safety, critical, and equipment branch circuit breakers have to have separate switchboard sections? Where is this located in the NEC, NFPA 99, or NFPA 110?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
See 517.26 in the 2017 NEC.

I think that says the life safety branch must be supplied from a separate switchboard section. This also tends to imply that the critical branch, equipment branch, and optional branches can be supplied from the same switchboard section, even though the critical branch must have its downstream wiring separated from the other two.

Shujinko

Ok from the article I see that the emergency branch has to be in a separate switchboard section and the Legally required and Optional branches can be in the same switchboard section. But again back to my original question how does this work for a Hospital where the Essential Emergency System is not defined by the NEC 700, 701, & 702. Rather by the NEC 517.32, 33, 34. I can't really find anything in code that addresses this. I was looking for a code section that would address the separation requirement in Article 517 or anywhere else?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

:)
Just kidding, but I believe that is what you are looking for. It says the life safety branch shall comply with article 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.