seperate neutral for double branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question-For a double 15 amp arc-fault branch circuit breaker(culter hammer)requires a single neutral. The local building authority told us that we are required to run two (2) neutrals to each of the 15 amp branch circuits. So if one side of the branch trips the other side would not. He also stateda single neutral was not code compilant. We told him that the manufactures installation instructions states a single neutral was sufficient for the double (15amp) branch circuit. Any suggestions. web site address for installation instructions. Re-inspection 7/31/2003

jtb

Re: seperate neutral for double branch circuit

I looked at the cut sheets on the Cutler Hammer web site. Have a look here .

My understanding is that for the common trip double pole breaker models CH215AF and BR215AF only a single neutral would be required, and this should only feed 240V branch.

For models CH215AFIT and BR215AFIT feeding 2 separate branch circuits, a neutral would be run for each branch. Each pole of this breaker would trip independently. There is a diagram showing a shared neutral configuration, however, so
I may be wrong on this. It looks like the *AFIT was specifically designed for multiwire branch circuits, otherwise it makes no sense to have this option.

Is the intent to prevent multiwire branch circuits in single phase applications? I can't answer that, but the inspector can.

For about $10 more you can get 2 single pole 15A *AF breakers and eliminate the question by running neutrals for each circuit.

[ July 31, 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: jtb ]

Status
Not open for further replies.