seperate structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a house with attached deck and a carport. There is an enclosed area (shed) framed against the deck (one corner of deck is part of the shed frame) and the carport roof is the shed roof.

Is this shed a seperate structure?

Not looking to add a "sub" panel, but looking to run a 2nd circuit to shed.

eprice

Does the roof structure of the carport/shed roof connect to the house?
Does the deck connect to both the shed and the house?

renosteinke

So ... what's the fuss?

A 'second circuit' can skirt the rules if it shares the neutral; then it's considered a single, if multi-wire, circuit.

Otherwise .... all you need is a ground rod tied to the grounding conductors of the circuits.

I usually advise going 'all the way,' with a panel, pipe, etc .... but every job is different. It's just been my experience that things have a way of growing .....

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds like one structure to me

Me too. Especially when OP uses words like "attached".

Not being "attached" can be more technical when it comes to deciding what qualifies as "not attached". Example - does a pipe or raceway between two structures make them become attached? Sounds like something that can possibly be debated to death. If there is nothing between them it is much more obvious they are separate structures.

So ... what's the fuss?

A 'second circuit' can skirt the rules if it shares the neutral; then it's considered a single, if multi-wire, circuit.

Otherwise .... all you need is a ground rod tied to the grounding conductors of the circuits.

I usually advise going 'all the way,' with a panel, pipe, etc .... but every job is different. It's just been my experience that things have a way of growing .....

My mistake....there is an existing mwbc to the carport/shed.

HO wants to be able to 3-way switch some existing luminaires, (no wait, he wants to switch some lights...he doesn't know what a luminaire is:p), and I need to add a 20 amp single pole circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.