Septic Pump & Controller - Multiwire Branch Circuit and Disconnect Rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just running the wires and making things work. It isn't my decision about what equipment to buy or what future needs there might be though there won't be any receptacles or lights needed from this circuit. The cabin is basically a bare structure with unfinished walls inside and the clients are finishing it all so that they can move in and live there in retirement. I will be installing all the receptacles and lighting circuits for them, which will include the exterior GFCIs required by code, some exterior lights, etc. etc. The cabin was used as a workshop by the previous owner and he installed a 200A service with a Square D QO series panel.

As you can see from the wiring diagram I posted a link to above, it clearly calls for two 20a circuits. One circuit supplies power to the controller panel (and the alarm is integrated into this), the other passes through the panel and the hot leg is switched by the controller circuit to control the pump. I don't really understand why the panel needs a 20a circuit to power it, seems like overkill, but I don't know how much current it draws either when the alarm is sounding.

There is no button or switch inside the controller panel to manually shut down the pump. Furthermore, 430.102 calls for a disconnecting means for the controller that is within sight of the controller. Since the controller is mounted to an exterior wall of the cabin, that means I need a separate disconnect mounted next to the controller. I bought a simple $6.50 60A pull type disconnect for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.