septic pump disconnect switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy

Q1. Is it required by code to have a disconnect switch within sight from a residential 120 volt submersible septic pump and float switch (controller)?
If so what about a well pump that is 200 ft below grade?

Q2. Can the low voltage conductors for the high water alarm be instaled in the same raceway with the 120 volt pump conductors?

gserve

Re: septic pump disconnect switch

Yes,within sight and no more than 50'. Well pumps can be locked out at the controller(pressure switch) usually a double pole switch located next to the pressure switch in the basement.No 120V with low volt.Run 2 separate conduits to the sump into 2 separate JB's

electricmanscott

I don't do septic pumps regularly but the few that I have done, and all that I have seen do not have disconnects. Where would you mount one?

jimwalker

Has been about 20 years since i did my last one.I mounted next to tank a 4x4 pt post with about 2 feet sticking out of ground and a pull out disc.It worked and passed and cheap.

highkvoltage

bigguy. Yes you can run your low voltage with your 120, 240, 277 and 480. As long as the insulation rating on the low voltage wire is in compliance. If someone can find a code section that states different I would like to see it. This has been a myth for to long.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Its not a myth, see section 90.3. We need to clarify what low voltage is. If you referreing to Class 2 or 3 power limited circuits, even with 600 volt insulation thay can not be run in the same raceway as power and light conductors. Many electricians know 300.3(C)(1) but miss the FPN. It is assumed that you understand per 90.3, that the rules in chapter 5-7 can modify the rules in chapter 1-4.
Can the "low voltage" be run with the power conductors? If its a class 1 power limited or non power limited circuit then yes. Keep in mind "low voltage" is not an NEC term. You can have low voltage and high amperage.

wayne123

I always mount a weatherproof j-box on a 4x4 post and install a single recept inside the box to plug the float switch/pump into.Make sure you use at least a 8" deep box because the ones that I have done have a male/female plug on the float switch. The switch plugs into the recept then the pump plugs into the switch plug. Hard to describe, but if you don't use a deep box you won't have enough clearance to plug both in.

wayne123

By the way, I have never had any problems with an inspector about acessabilty of the plug. The only thing was the plumbing inspector said the bottom of the box must be 12" above the ground.I told the plumber to scrape an 1" off the ground under the box, he did, it passed.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

the most practical way i've found is to omit any splices in a methane atmosphere.

feed all you so cords into a pvc box w/so cord connectors, strip out what length you may have of the motor & float balls, feed it out to a pedestal switch

seal the pipe...

this allows for diagnostics at said switch , as well as meets 'within sight' a tad better.

~RJ~

[ February 25, 2005, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: romex jockey ]

gserve

I do a lot of these.I buy a simplex pump control panel with audible alarm/light.This also has a single 20A breaker in it for your disconnect all in a 3R enclosure.I mount panel on a a4x4 post next to the pump chamber. Run 1 conduit from the home to the control panel for feeder and then run a conduit into the pump chamber from the control panel for pump feed and float controls to an approved J-box with the proper cord connectors. I do not splice these in the J-box I just pass them through up the conduit to the panel. Works slick and the AHJ loves it.

bigguy

I have done one duplex pump system and found that the high water alarm controls are rated at 120 volts so there is no class 2 circuits to be concerned about. And the Nema#1 control panel is mounted inside that can be locked in the open position which is fine with the inspector.

The majority of the systems that I wire have one fractional horse power pump with a moulded male cord cap and a control on/off float that plugs into the pump (piggy back)cord. I have always cut the cord caps off and hard wired them into a PVC weatherproof junction covered by a bottomless hand hole for future access adjacent to the pump chamber tank. The local health inspectors do not want to see the pumps pluged in. The contractor will not allow a 4 x 4 wooden post sticking up in the middle of the yard. So maybe a lockable disconnect switch mounted to the side of the house would be the best way to do this. The high water alarm float activates a resettable low voltage alarm panel that requires a class 2 circuit to the float switch. If I install a seperate raceway for for?the class circuit what type of low voltage cable can I used that is rated for wet location beside single conductor THWN?

pierre

725.27(B) Insulation.
Conductors larger than 16 AWG shall comply with Article 310.

725.55(A)General.
Cables and conductors of Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall not be placed in any cable,cable tray, compartment, enclosure, manhole, outlet box, device box, raceway, or similar fitting with conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non-power-limited fire alarm circuits, and medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits unless permitted by 725.55(B) through (J).
B-J are very restrictive requirements.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I have always cut the cord caps off and hard wired them into a PVC weatherproof junction covered by a bottomless hand hole for future access adjacent to the pump chamber tank. The local health inspectors do not want to see the pumps pluged in
The pump manufacturers I have dealt with say cutting the cord cap off will void the warranty. :(

wayne123

Exactly what do you mean coppertree? I do all of my installs in a professional manner and most of the time it is over and above the code requirements. We have very strict inspectors in my area and they go through things with a fine tooth comb. What I was refering to about the height of the box is not a electric code issue, it was probably a plumbing inspector who was trying to impress someone. I DO TAKE PRIDE IN MY WORK!!!

wayne123

The only real problem with the cord ends is that you have run them in 2" conduit . They will not go into anything smaller because of the 90degree config.on the plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.