SER Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This only applys to feeders correct? (60 deg ser)
But seu(service entrance cables) is the same insulation and ok for 75 deg column?
That is where the argument comes in. To me it is clear from t. 310.15(B)(6) but I think Gus believes that 338.10(B)(4) would trump it.

Volta

This only applys to feeders correct? (60 deg ser)
But seu(service entrance cables) is the same insulation and ok for 75 deg column?

Yes, only feeders or branch circuits.

But I think we still need to figure at 60 deg up to and including 100 amps 110.14(C)(1)(a) (unless termination provisions rated higher) for services. Table 310.15(b)(6) does allow us to use # 2 al for 100 main power conductors, but makes no mention of temperature ratings.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'll refrain from getting on my soap box but simply caution you that there are AHJ's that subscribe to the school of thought that, to use Dennis' words, "338.10 trumps 310.15(B)(6)" so be careful, as some jurisdictions do not accept interior SE at any amperage above is 60? rating.

for more discussion 'search' "338.10" and you will find the previosu threads.

electricmanscott

I'll refrain from getting on my soap box but simply caution you that there are AHJ's that subscribe to the school of thought that, to use Dennis' words, "338.10 trumps 310.15(B)(6)" so be careful, as some jurisdictions do not accept interior SE at any amperage above is 60? rating.

for more discussion 'search' "338.10" and you will find the previosu threads.

I would agree with those jurisdictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.