SER in PVC underground

MrEpicElectric

New User
Occupation
Electrician/Educator
Can someone explain why SER is not permitted to be run in PVC underground? There is a heated debate from both side going on in my class and I don't want to state the NEC says so. Any background information or history would be great.

Thank you

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Biggest issue with AL ser is the bare ground it'll corrode if left like that. They make other Direct burial conductors that are similar such as mobile home feeder but only a fool would trust those conductors direct burried for a permanent long lasting instalation. Conduit is cheaper than re digging. I have different feelings about pvc jacked mc and cable in conduit hdpe

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

Because "inside a conduit" is not a location, underground is, and SE and SER are not permitted underground.
I have to disagree with you on that. NEC says it is a location.

(B) Wet Locations. The interior of enclosures or raceways
installed underground shall be considered to be a wet location.

300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Above grade. Where raceways
are installed in wet locations above grade, the interior of
these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location.

garbo

Welcome to the forum.

Because "inside a conduit" is not a location, underground is, and SE and SER are not permitted underground.
Besides that a few times I tried to pull out service cable that Johnnie homeowner installed in conduit with no more then 180 degrees in bends. Both underground & all above ground. Had to cut conduit between bends and still could not pull it out. They used the smallest diameter conduit and pushed cable thru one ten foot section of conduit at a time. Have installed SER cable in a short maybe 3' section in conduit from an outdoor 100 amp service disconnect to provide the required protection required up to 8' off ground level. Circuit breaker disconnect feed power to second floor apartment subpanel.