Ser

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheeinc

I have a question. I have never ran any cable assembly in a conduit except for a sleeve. I have been doing Electrical work for 30 yrs. Im being challenged, to where it says, in the code book you cant do this?
This is my situation. Im doing a modular project and certain portions were not wired by modular company, such as panel and AC. They in stalled a 2 inch conduit for service any where from 15 feet to 35 ft and a 1 inch conduit for AC anywhere from 15 to 35 ft. Another location is the Heat pumps are on roof. I will not run Ser on roof for physical damage, and basically crud job. I am coming out of pitch pocket with EMT. Some units are 20ft away some are 50ft away.
My question is am I allowed to install SER cable in that conduit the whole way or do I have to strip jacket back to where i change from the SER to the hard pipe

Last edited by a moderator:

jheeinc

SER and other other cables are allowed in conduit/raceway systems. See Chapter 9 for fill requirements.

Proper/listed fittings will be needed for transition.

Do you have to strip the cable jacket off the whole way or can you just pull it through

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Do you have to strip the cable jacket off the whole way or can you just pull it through

Technically it is a violation to strip the jacket off. Now why would you use se cable in a complete raceway. It costs more money, is harder to pull and you will have to figure raceway fill od the cable, not just the wires

iwire

Staff member
Technically it is a violation to strip the jacket off.

I disagree with that.

.Now why would you use se cable in a complete raceway. It costs more money, is harder to pull and you will have to figure raceway fill od the cable, not just the wires

Other than the cost for materials I disagree.

It's very convenient sometimes, it pulls easy if you leave the jacket on.

mwm1752

Technically it is a violation to strip the jacket off. Now why would you use se cable in a complete raceway. It costs more money, is harder to pull and you will have to figure raceway fill od the cable, not just the wires

I disagree with that.

Gentlemen - I find this thread needing some code references. since you do not agree on weather or not SER cable can be stripped while in a protective sleeve entering a box would you please opine on this subject a bit further. My scenario deals with SER cable leaving an MDP enclosure for then outside of the enclosure enters a sleeve conduit which connect to a panel. I did find 312.( C ) (e) interesting but since the SER leaves the Cabinet properly I am not sure it could apply to the panel where the conduit enters. I'd just like to concentrate on the "can strip or cannot strip cable sheathing in conduit issue" please.

Last edited by a moderator:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMHO, the key would be 310.11 and 300.13 which require certain marking on conductors.
If the conductors in the SER cable are individually identified as ones acceptable by 300.13 the I see no reason you can't strip the jacket and use them. If the individual conductors are not identified as ones acceptable by 300.13 such as NM conductors, then the jacket remains.
Stress IMHO.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If the individual conductors are not identified as ones acceptable by 300.13 such as NM conductors, then the jacket remains.
Stress IMHO.

Not picking on you Gus but using your point about nm to make the point that the jacket gets stripped off and the identification gets removed every day of the week in panels and junction boxes and nobody red tags that.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The op says that there is a 2" riser already installed. I don't understand the need to run SER cable either. Go buy three 10' cuts of whatever it is he needs to feed the panel put on a weather head and be done with it.

mwm1752

Cowboyjwc
Maybe I should have started a new thread but there was info in this that was helpful - the why is not concerning me only the is it compliant to strip sheathing in my scenario post 9#

mwm1752

Not picking on you Gus but using your point about nm to make the point that the jacket gets stripped off and the identification gets removed every day of the week in panels and junction boxes and nobody red tags that.

but in both case the jacket is required to enter the panel & j box -- would you be able to insert a 20" conduit sleeve out of the panel, skin the NM so that only a 1/4" of its jacket enters the sleeve, then the free conductors fill the sleeve till entering the panel?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
but in both case the jacket is required to enter the panel & j box -- would you be able to insert a 20" conduit sleeve out of the panel, skin the NM so that only a 1/4" of its jacket enters the sleeve, then the free conductors fill the sleeve till entering the panel?

Technically it may be fine but IMO it is a violation. NM is not marked and cannot be used that way according to the mfg.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

That may be covered by the fact that 300.12 discusses using the identified conductor for use in any Chapter 3 wiring method. Once you enter the panel you are no longer in a Chapt 3 method.
Maybe why 312.5(C) requires the cable jacket to extend 1/4" beyond the fitting. ??

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Not my point... or opinion.. the 1/4" of sheath satisfies the fact that only the sheathed cable is in the conduit (Chapt. 3 wiring method). The conductors are not exposed until they enter the panel (not a wiring method).

Status
Not open for further replies.