series rating label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
110.21(C) requires the following:

Tested Series Combination Systems. Equipment enclosures
for circuit breakers or fuses applied in compliance
with the series combination ratings marked on the equipment
by the manufacturer in accordance with 240.86(B)
shall be legibly marked in the field to indicate the equipment
has been applied with a series combination rating.
The marking shall meet the requirements in 110.21(B) and
shall be readily visible and state the following:
CAUTION — SERIES COMBINATION SYSTEM
RATED ____ AMPERES. IDENTIFIED REPLACEMENT
COMPONENTS REQUIRED

what is the "rated" value? Is this the value that is less than the actual available fault current, that i can use because of the series rating (i.e 10k for a 10k downstream breaker that series rates with an upstream 65K)? OR is this the actual fault current value? I always assumed this was the lesser series rating value, but I just got an inspection and the inspector is saying this should be the actual fault current available at the downstream equipment.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I think it should be marked with the higher "series rating". So if there was a 65kA main breaker with a 10kA distribution breaker 100 feet away, the marking at the 10kA-rated breaker should say that it is series rated for 65kA and the part number for that breaker be included on the label (identified replacement component) at the remote location.
That's because the system is rated for the higher fault current at that location, as long as the correct breaker is used.

I think it should be marked with the higher "series rating". So if there was a 65kA main breaker with a 10kA distribution breaker 100 feet away, the marking at the 10kA-rated breaker should say that it is series rated for 65kA and the part number for that breaker be included on the label (identified replacement component) at the remote location.
That's because the system is rated for the higher fault current at that location, as long as the correct breaker is used.
I think you are right, but it seems poorly worded to me. One angle, and how I always thought of it, is that the lower value is "what you get to use" because of the series rating, so the rating is the lower value. The actual available fault current is just what it is, there is no "rating".

Seems like better wording would be something like:

Caution: series combination system
Use identified components
Available fault current is XYZ

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is this from the 2020 code? In the 2017 version this marking is only required for engineered series rated systems.
110.22(B), in the 2017 code, gives you the required marking for an engineered series rated system and 110.22(C) give the marking for a tested series rated system.

Status
Not open for further replies.